Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Windshield Replacement???

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2014, 05:34 PM

Windshield Replacement???

Not sure if this is the best place for this question. I recently had my windshield replaced in my 68 Cutlass vert. It went in with the doors and trim fitting perfectly. When I got it back the stainless trim on the sides do not fit correctly. The passenger side obviously needs to slide toward the window further. The driver side trim makes contact with the door enough to spring the door a bit.

If memory serves this may happen if the sealant under the glass is too thick. Is it also possible the glass is too wide from side to side? Any other ideas?

When I returned the car the guy who replaced it said that's the only way they can fit and expects me to live with it.
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:15 PM

You are obviously doing business with someone who doesn't know what he's doing. He should stand behind his work. If he used the correct glass he didn't install it correctly. If he ordered the glass he is responsible for the whole job. He has no pride in his work if he thinks the fit you've described is "good enough" and the poor service he has provided will become become part of his reputation. I'd give him the opportunity to do it right, on his nickel, but you may have to take this problem to a professional glass installer and pay to have it done right. Maybe, as a last resort, small claims court could help with your added expenses if it comes to that. Tough spot.