General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1971 Cutlass Windshield Replacement

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2009, 03:55 PM

1971 Cutlass Windshield Replacement

I had a horrible day today, I was driving down the street when out of no where a basketball flies into my windshield. Needles to saythe windshield is cracked to hell, so now I need to know two things. How much does it cost in general to have the windshield replaced on a car like this, and do you have any reccomendtions in the Plano/North Dallas area to have the repairs done?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
windshield.jpg (59.3 KB, 54 views)
Old November 26th, 2009, 04:14 PM

In the Boston area, it would be about $250 installed.
Old November 26th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Banned

call up a couple,and use the cheapest glass place.

when they come to install,ask them if it would be cheaper if you paid in cash.

he will say yes.
Old November 26th, 2009, 05:17 PM

I was just curious, how could a basketball crack your windshield unless it was thrown by Tim Lincecum? Seriously, was it very cold outside? Not trying to be smart, just seems unusual. Chumley
Old November 26th, 2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chumley
I was just curious, how could a basketball crack your windshield unless it was thrown by Tim Lincecum? Seriously, was it very cold outside? Not trying to be smart, just seems unusual. Chumley
I was thinking the same thing unless the ball was filled with water and frozenI'm not trying to be smart either,but that's a lot of damage for a basketball.
Old November 26th, 2009, 06:30 PM

Well I was on a major street doin about 45mph and the ball was coming at a decent speed as well.
Old November 26th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by dallasite21
I had a horrible day today, I was driving down the street when out of no where a basketball flies into my windshield. Needles to saythe windshield is cracked to hell, so now I need to know two things. How much does it cost in general to have the windshield replaced on a car like this, and do you have any reccomendtions in the Plano/North Dallas area to have the repairs done?
Sorry to hear about your mishap. This isn't as bad as you might think. No it sure won't pass a state safety inspection, but the glass isn't expensive. For example, go to this link (PS Auto Glass) http://www.psautoglass.com/store/Scr...idCategory=237

Should be some other guys down there. Hey Rob (lady72nRob71) you got your typing fingers on? Maybe help us out on this? I'm thinking that you're probably looking at a buck for installation and about a buck 25 for the glass. So the overall $225.00 - $250.00 seems to be right on. You might get it for less. The good thing is that you can still get the right glass for your car. Tinted or non tinted, c/w the windshield antenna. What a great time to check the front window channels and clip areas for rust!!
Old November 26th, 2009, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
. What a great time to check the front window channels and clip areas for rust!!
This happend to me. I have a vinyl top and it was rotted under the windshield. the glass guy would not warranty it against leaks, and it rains inside my car.

John
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:41 AM
Registered

Safelite here quoted 235 bucks for mine installed.

If you go to their website you can get an instant cash quote or an insurance quote. My windshield could be done the same day here, they come to the car or you can take it to one of the shops they list in the area.

http://www.safelite.com/index.jsp
Old November 27th, 2009, 07:09 AM

Call the insurance company

Hi Parrish - good to hear from you BUT sorry to hear about that loss.... Glad it did not cause a wreck or anything.
First off, call your insurance company. Comprehensive should cover this, as it was impact with a flying object. I hit a flying shovel one year with the Caddy and it stuck right in the front bumper. I paid my 50 comp. deductible and got it fixed, no problems. Hopefully your deductible is low enough to help you.

Originally Posted by Allan R
Hey Rob (lady72nRob71) you got your typing fingers on? Maybe help us out on this? I'm thinking that you're probably looking at a buck for installation and about a buck 25 for the glass. So the overall $225.00 - $250.00 seems to be right on. You might get it for less. The good thing is that you can still get the right glass for your car. Tinted or non tinted, c/w the windshield antenna. What a great time to check the front window channels and clip areas for rust!!
I got my ears on, good buddy. That sounds like a reasonable price indeed. The glass is reproed, but it might take a little time to get it shipped. See what your insurance company suggests first.
IF they cover it, you might be able to remove it first and check for rust, and if not, maybe POR15 it before the glass guy comes to install the new one.

Glad you got the car out and running now. I need to come check it out! In fact you have just one month to Lady before she gets immobilized again during the continued resto.

Last edited by Lady72nRob71; November 27th, 2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old November 27th, 2009, 07:23 AM

X2 on the insurance all my cars haveit. Max price 50 bucks. I agree chuck for the rust when you pull windshield
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:33 PM

$225 here in Dallas, glass and install.