Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Who makes the best floor plan?

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2016, 08:43 AM

Hey all!

Just getting started on my 1971 442 restoration and am looking for a quality passenger side front floor pan. One that matches the contours the best. I've done a lot of looking on A-body pans and not a ton of info out there regarding the quality of the pans. Some threads about welding them in but not the quality. Any direction would certainly help. You will probably see me more on these boards now that the resto is started!

Cheers,

Brian
Old January 24th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Old School Olds

I purchased some from auto body specialties for my 70 442.
I haven't put them in yet but they are very nice, thick metal
and are stamped like the originals and are very reasonably priced, thanks Joe!
Old January 24th, 2016, 10:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
I purchased some from auto body specialties for my 70 442.
I haven't put them in yet but they are very nice, thick metal
and are stamped like the originals and are very reasonably priced, thanks Joe!
Yes. I bought pans for my 72 from Autobody Specialties and they are about 50% thicker than those from other vendors. The stamping is also MUCH crisper than the others. Autobody Specialties doesn't make their own, so someone else must also sell them, but I haven't found any other vendors selling these thick ones yet.

FYI, Autobody Specialties also sells a MUCH better front fender patch panel. Better fit, thicker metal, and a more correct shape.
Old January 24th, 2016, 11:06 AM

Hey guys, thank you so much for the response. Looks like I will get a pan from Autobody Specialties at this point. The thickness and crispness was what I was looking for.

Cheers,

Brian
Old January 24th, 2016, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by BritishEngineering
It depends. Why style of house are you looking for?
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:27 AM

love it - It will have 455 rooms.........
Old January 25th, 2016, 10:47 AM

Look into AMD ( Auto metal direct) they are well known for their mopar metal being exact OEM. They have been expanding into the GM makes now for a while.
I have purchased many pieces from them and all is super nice.
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:17 AM

AMD and Dynacorn are pretty tied when it comes to quality, and I strongly recommend not using any others that are available.

Redline Design has some of the best pricing out there, and ship fast if it's readily available. They price match too:

https://redlinedesign.com/

You can mention my userID when you talk to Eric, and no, I get no kickback, but it may help on priority service.

Old January 27th, 2016, 01:56 PM

Thanks guys,

Placed an order from Auto Body Specialties couple of days ago. Will see how they look when we get them.
Old January 27th, 2016, 07:26 PM

Sorry for the hijack

Same question, but I'm looking for a trunk floor, and drop offs. Tried the ones from sherman, but it was about 4 inches short on each side, and the ribs didn't line up. Also it was super thin and the drop offs weren't even close

Last edited by Krom; January 27th, 2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old January 27th, 2016, 08:25 PM

I think also worth noting here. especially trunk floor pans. They are not the same 68-72. Dimensionally yes, but rib pattern wise they differ from year to year.
So pay Attension to your original trunk floor when ordering these, They make them with different patterns.
Old May 26th, 2017, 08:35 PM

I have been looking at buying floor pans. Thanks for all the information in this thread. I looked at Autobody Specialties based on Joe's recommendation. Their website indicates they sell different manufacturers. So I called them and found out the floor pans they sell are from Auto Metal Direct. So I ordered my pans from them. They were $5 less for each side and shipping was less for me.
Old May 27th, 2017, 07:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by fiebs442
I have been looking at buying floor pans. Thanks for all the information in this thread. I looked at Autobody Specialties based on Joe's recommendation. Their website indicates they sell different manufacturers. So I called them and found out the floor pans they sell are from Auto Metal Direct. So I ordered my pans from them. They were $5 less for each side and shipping was less for me.
I recently had the same experience. I was looking to purchase a complete firewall. Bottom line is that ordering directly from AMD was the least expensive option when delivery was included. The part showed up quickly and is nicely made.
Old May 29th, 2017, 07:58 PM
Rodney

AMD Floorpan

I replaced the floor in my convertible with an AMD part and couldn't be happier with the end results. The stamping was the best match, when compared to the original floor in my car. I purchased a full floor with inner rockers and split them at the bottom of the rocker panels, leaving the outer rockers in place. The only issue I had was the outer seatbelt bolt locations (adjacent to the sill plates) were incorrect. I had to grind off the welds and move the square nuts further back to be in the correct location. Pretty minor modification. Here's a pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
FloorPan.jpg (181.0 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by cdrod; May 29th, 2017 at 08:00 PM. Reason: typos
Old June 20th, 2017, 07:46 PM

I received my floor pans from AMD. I am happy with the quality. They are 18 gauge metal. What I am trying to figure out is how to install with the side edge that fits next to the rocker panel. You can see the edge is "U" shape. Any advice on how to fit would be appreciated.

Old June 20th, 2017, 08:11 PM
Rodney

What is the AMD part number for your floor pan? I used AMD part number 400-3468 which is a full floorpan with inner rockers. I drilled out the spot welds that held the inner and outer rocker panels together to remove the old pan. Does your pan not include the inner rockers?
Old June 21st, 2017, 06:28 AM
Cory

FYI
For a 72 Cutlass I bought the least expensive 3 piece trunk pan I could find online from Tamraz on ebay. Turns out that it's a Golden Star brand. All the ribs lined up perfectly, Edge contours were within 1/4". Joint flanges lined up perfectly. Main and fuel tank braces look perfect but I didn't need to use them since mine were "good enuff"
Old June 21st, 2017, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by cdrod
What is the AMD part number for your floor pan? I used AMD part number 400-3468 which is a full floorpan with inner rockers. I drilled out the spot welds that held the inner and outer rocker panels together to remove the old pan. Does your pan not include the inner rockers?
I did not get the full floor pan. My braces and rocker panels are not damaged. I got the half pans.