Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Who makes best 70 442 grilles?

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2010, 06:40 PM

Who makes best 70 442 grilles?

Hi Guys,

Doing a little price shopping for a set of repop 70 442 grilles. Here's what I've found (ebay prices):

Fusick $239
Parts Place $265
Brothers $235
Tamraz $299

Only Fusick says their's are made of ABS. Are these guys all selling the same grilles or does someone make a best version? Only want to buy these once.......if you know what I mean.

Any input is appreciated.

thanks,
bob
Old October 12th, 2010, 07:03 PM

As far as I know it's only Fusick that is having them made....the '70 442 grilles were one of, if not the, first grille sets Fusick had reprod. I think they started making them back in the 1980's.

My bet is they wholesale them to the other guys. I would avoid buying anything from brothers....too many horror stories about them.

It would be interesting to see if The Parts Place went to the trouble of having their own repro '70 grilles made or if they get them from Fusick. If Parts Place is also having them made I can pretty much guarantee you they are also using ABS.
Old October 12th, 2010, 08:03 PM

What 70post said.
I also have found that Fusick more concerned with carrying a nice part,than selling parts.You will notice that they don't sell quite as many parts as some of the other suppliers,but if they are not up to snuff,they won't sell them.Fusick does have some of their own parts made,but they also get some of their parts from other sources,as long as they are good.Let's be realistic though.The repop parts are just that.They will NEVER be exactly the same as the original GM parts.I have purchased a pair from Fusick,and they do come in Taiwan boxes.They are nice though.If I had to get another pair,I would still get them from Fusick.
Old October 12th, 2010, 08:37 PM

Yes----and to add a bit of info----in terms of repro "quality" it's a good piece....ABS plastic, etc.

In terms of exactness, definition, etc it doesn't rank too well, IMO, compared to the repro grilles they started making later on (ie...'71 grilles, etc).

Remember, this repro grille came out in the '80's and who knows where they had it made or how much the molds cost, etc back then. The end result may have been all they could afford or justify at the time given the probably-MUCH-HIGHER costs for making repro grilles back then.

This is typical of "first generation" repro parts....the first version of the repro red fenderwells were terrible compared to today's. We've seen a similar effect in interiors also. Legendary wasn't making any Olds stuff not too long ago and you basically had one choice. I remember Soff Seal's door weatherstrips....should have called them "Dense Seal" as they weren't too soft. Bucket seat plastic bases and backs and the bright trim...same thing.

Still---I think there is only one version of the '70 grille.

Last edited by 70Post; October 12th, 2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old October 12th, 2010, 09:36 PM

Good post timing!!!

The Parts Place repro's alot of parts and resells them to other vendors as well.
http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ocat...&YearList=1970

So is everyone sure Fusick is having these reproduced or is it Parts Place??
Just curious , because I need a set of these as well.

They're $279 from them. But if everyone likes Fusick's , I'll stick to Fusick.
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:27 AM

When I get time later I'll email PartsPlace, Tamraz, Brothers, and YearOne and ask if their 70 442 Grilles are any different from Fusick's. Don't know if they'll be honest and tell me the truth......but I'll tell you what they tell me.

regards,
bob
Old October 13th, 2010, 05:42 AM

I know some years back,I ordered some parts from Year None,and when I got them,they were in pakages labeled "Product of Fusick Automotive". Needless to say,that was the last order I placed from Year None.The parts that don't come from Fusick,that they sell,I am not impressed with.Sure,these companies are supplying each other with some of the parts,but like I said before,Fusick seems to be the pickiest about what they sell.There are also companies like Thornton's that is supplying some of the OAI parts,notched valve covers,etc.The Parts Place is one of the bigger companies,and they have been able to go out & have a lot of parts made for them,so there are parts that Fusick is getting from them as well,like the red inner fenderwells.