Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

What a mess

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:47 AM

What a mess

Hey guys, just removed the doghouse for the 70 and look what I got..I had no luck locating an aftermarket patch panel so it looks like a custom job. Dos anyone know of an aftermarket patch for this? Any advice would be great...welding amd sheetmetal skills are okay but not pro...Thanks

Oh yeah..the other side is perfect...go figure...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
72912 398.JPG (33.2 KB, 226 views)
72912 397.jpg (39.1 KB, 213 views)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:07 AM

rojoe,
You need the cowl shoulder section. Hard to tell if you need just the outside or the whole shoulder section. They do aftermarket these. I just got done repairing mine and it's not difficult. The section is spot welded in so the most time spent is cutting it out and cleaning it up. After your repair, don't forget to use body seam sealer. I purchased the whole shoulder section from Tamaraz (AMD makes the panel). Best of luck.

Brian

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/68-72...item5ae542bfde
Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:09 AM

The Parts Place has them. Look under body panels, and scroll down to outer cowl panels. They also have the torque boxes if needed.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:22 AM

It looks like you may need more than the repair panel that is reproduced. The bracket that holds the clips for the lower fender bolts is missing and placement of that is critical to allow for correct fender fit and alignment. Also looks like the back side has rotted. I would suggest you consider looking for a rust free used lower section of the cowl so you can get everything you'll need for that repair. Several guys on here can probably help. Try posting a Parts Wanted ad or contact John (2blu442) to see what he has. I tend to belive a 4 door cowl is the same as a 2 door.

As a side comment, check the distance between the fame rail and inner side of the cowl and rocker on both sides to see if they are roughly the same distance. It appears in your photo that the body is just abut touching the frame rail on the driver's side and it shouldn't be that close. Maybe it's the angle of the photo which makes it appear that way but something to double check.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:17 AM

Amazing what wet leaves can cause over the course of 40+ years.
Cleaning that out is one if the first things I do with a new purchase.
Old August 4th, 2012, 05:03 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I am in contact with John(2blu442) and hopefully he can help with some parts....
Old August 4th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Past Administrator

I used to frequent the HAMB and would see this kind of work done on a regular basis on those older cars that they showcase. It is a lot of fabrication work but there are people out there that can do it. If you run into trouble don't hesitate to start looking for help because I know it can be done, I've seen it done before.
Old August 4th, 2012, 08:09 AM

If John doesn't have what you need, I very well might. Let me know.
Scott
c. 317-727-7041
Old August 4th, 2012, 02:03 PM

I will scott, thanks...I spent some time today stripping paint and I cleaned up around the problem area. I will take more pics in the AM, thanks again...
Old August 15th, 2012, 05:17 PM

Here's another pic of the trouble area cleaned up a little..
Attached Images
DSCN3795.jpg (57.6 KB, 96 views)
Old August 15th, 2012, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by 69442C
It looks like you may need more than the repair panel that is reproduced. The bracket that holds the clips for the lower fender bolts is missing and placement of that is critical to allow for correct fender fit and alignment. Also looks like the back side has rotted. I would suggest you consider looking for a rust free used lower section of the cowl so you can get everything you'll need for that repair.
I guess it depends how "correct" you want, or need, to be. This entire area of the cowl is buried and you can't see any of it. Mine was as bad or worse than rojoe's. I cut out all the rust and fabricated patches that I butt welded in place. I also fabricated the dog leg that holds the two fender bolts. It may not be pretty but it's functional and there's no rust left anywhere. My driver's side wasn't as bad so I mirrored that side for the location of the dog leg and holes:

Old August 15th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Justin

That looks pretty good just add some seem sealer and you would never know !
Old August 16th, 2012, 04:38 AM

This type of work comes down to time, effort and it being a permanent repair. Sure, pieces can be fabricated but I also see a lot of rust inside on the inner panel or back of the cowl...however one would call it. There would be a lot of farbrication required to make this repair. This rust needs to be removed not just covered over with new metal. I do see the attachment point is there for the lower fender bolts which I didn't see when I looked at the other photos. But it still looks like a lot of rust. When doing a repair, the metal will need to be cut back until solid metal is found so this damage will be much worse looking by the time all the weak metal is removed. This area also serves as some structure as the lower door hinge is very close and the cowl-to-frame mounting is also close. If it was me, I would find a donor lower section so I could cut off that entire lower piece of the cowl and replace it completely. With some careful measuring and the correct tools, I could do this repair in a few hours but I understand others would take more time or may not have the tools or skills to do this. That's where some of us can help or maybe they would want to farm that work out. I would leave a section on the outer side removed so I could weld the inner side together, clean up the weld, coat it and then replace the outer piece and weld it in place. Rust is something that needs to be done once and done correctly. Otherwise, the problem will eventually return. With the lower section removed, it would be a good time to coat the inside of the cowl where it can be reached to prevent future rust. Everyone has their way to do it and this is just my 2 cents from having done this type of work for 30+ years.
Old August 31st, 2012, 07:49 AM

I'm working on my 72 convertible and I have the same issue rojoe has except that the flange where the fender is bolted to is rusted out on both sides.

Reading the post, I think that the best thing to do is to find a solid donor vehicle and cut that whole area out and replace mine with a solid piece so I have a few questions regarding donor vehicle possibilities:

1) Is that area the same no matter if it's a convertible, a 2-door or a 4-door? Or do I need to find a donor part from another convertible?

2) Are all A-bodies the same in that area? Would any A-body donor work?

3) Are there differences between 1972 and earlier years? I'd guess I could use a donor from 71 and maybe even from a 1970 but am not sure.

Scott and/or John, if you are looking for a piece for rojoe (and he is all set first), can you let me know if you have another solid part (both RH and LH sides) I can use?

Thanks.
Steve
Old August 31st, 2012, 03:03 PM

Steve,
I sent a drivers side to him earlier this week. I'll check some of my other cars to see if I have any more good ones, left or right. I'll get pictures & let you know. If I don't get back to you in 3-4 days, feel free to call to remind me.
Thanks.
Scott
c. 317-727-7041
Old August 31st, 2012, 03:20 PM
NOVICE car nut

After seeing 69442's restoration thread , I would take his advice for sure . I'm sure glad that is one area on my car that is in great shape ! I wish I could say the same for the dash cowl where the windshield sits . It's rotted out bad , and I also have rust bubbles under the vinyl top to deal with too.
Old August 31st, 2012, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Hawk1061
I'm working on my 72 convertible and I have the same issue rojoe has except that the flange where the fender is bolted to is rusted out on both sides.

Reading the post, I think that the best thing to do is to find a solid donor vehicle and cut that whole area out and replace mine with a solid piece so I have a few questions regarding donor vehicle possibilities:

1) Is that area the same no matter if it's a convertible, a 2-door or a 4-door? Or do I need to find a donor part from another convertible?

2) Are all A-bodies the same in that area? Would any A-body donor work?

3) Are there differences between 1972 and earlier years? I'd guess I could use a donor from 71 and maybe even from a 1970 but am not sure.

Scott and/or John, if you are looking for a piece for rojoe (and he is all set first), can you let me know if you have another solid part (both RH and LH sides) I can use?

Thanks.
Steve
Steve,
Here's a photo of a lower cowl on a 69 442 conv and I believe all 68-72's are the same regardless of body style. There was someone on here within the past few weeks who was parting out a 68 442 conv. He was willing to cut the body but I don't recall if the cowl was good or now. Do a search and see for this thread and see if that works out for you.
Brian
Attached Images
Cowl Patched.jpg (46.9 KB, 35 views)
Old August 31st, 2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 69442C
Steve,
Here's a photo of a lower cowl on a 69 442 conv and I believe all 68-72's are the same regardless of body style. There was someone on here within the past few weeks who was parting out a 68 442 conv. He was willing to cut the body but I don't recall if the cowl was good or now. Do a search and see for this thread and see if that works out for you.
Brian
Scrap the idea of the 68 I mentioned. Marxjunk was the seller and I found the thread. The lower cowl sections had already been removed.
Old September 1st, 2012, 12:32 PM

Steve,
Here is a picture of a passenger side cowl I have. I have a couple other parts cars, but they are about 1/2 hour away & I don't get to visit them much.
Give me a call?
Scott
c. 317-727-7041

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/a...-33-40_752.jpg

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/a...-34-07_191.jpg
Old September 1st, 2012, 02:16 PM

that area is a bear...good luck