Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Vinyl Top removal

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2008, 11:31 AM

Question Vinyl Top removal

I'm in the process of getting my car painted. I currently have a vinyl top I want removed. I was told that the hoods on my (1971 Cutlass Supreme) were not fully completed. Therefore this task would be a headache. Such as the rust,cracks and reoccurring repairs to the hood.

Any feedback I could possibly share with my body guy to convince him and myself that removing the top will not cause any regret.
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:33 AM

If you are painting your car it would be dumb to paint it without fixing any rust that is under the vinyl top. It depends on whether or not your vinyl top is in good condition. Is there rust under it?
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:44 AM

I agree with Olds 64. I would not consider repaint without removal of the vinyl top.

Chances are there will be some rust around the rear window at least. Alot will depend on where the car was stored [inside or out] over it's life.

I would count on some rust but NOW is the time to take care of it.
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:55 PM

Ultimately, I would have the vinyl top reinstalled after the bodywork and paint are done, but that is just me. I like the look of a vinyl top.
Old November 25th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rocket71
I'm in the process of getting my car painted. I currently have a vinyl top I want removed. I was told that the hoods on my (1971 Cutlass Supreme) were not fully completed. Therefore this task would be a headache. Such as the rust,cracks and reoccurring repairs to the hood.

Any feedback I could possibly share with my body guy to convince him and myself that removing the top will not cause any regret.
I assume you mean that the ROOF is not fully completed. You may be right. The factory seam between the C pillar and the roof panel has a recessed area that is spot welded. Cars with painted roofs got a fully leaded seam here. Cars with vinyl tops may also have lead but often got seam sealer instead. If you car has seam sealer, you will need to completely remove it and either have the seam leaded or use a high quality filler.