Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Source for sail panels or full quarters?

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2020, 06:52 AM

Source for sail panels or full quarters?

1971 Cutlass w/ vinyl top is starting to show rust where top stops on quarters. I’m wanting to remove top and just go with paint. I’m having trouble locating a replacement quarter that goes high enough.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Josh Hucks
Old April 27th, 2020, 06:57 AM

Josh, once you remove the vinyl top you'll find that the rust is cancerous all around the rear window as well. I don't think aftermarket panels come large enough to include the C pillar. You'll have to fabricate new panels yourself or find a parts car as a donor. Good luck!
Old April 27th, 2020, 07:27 AM

Depending on how bad the rest of your quarter has rust, personally I would remove the top and replace just the rusted metal in the area rusted. You can cut a strip of metal 1 or 2 inches high and the length needed or cut smaller pieces and weld in place. You will be welding/grinding anyway but this would eliminate a lot of cutting/welding if the rest of the quarter is ok. As for the back window metal, I would use something like this. http://www.beldenspeed.com/rust-patc...utlass-442-f85. I haven't ordered from these folks yet so not sure of the product but plan to use them on a few of my projects as I get to them. Hope this helps and good luck!
Old April 27th, 2020, 08:10 AM

That’s great info. Wonder where I’d be able to source sheet metal to fill the gaps as suggested?

And another random question, how do you remove the trim pieces? I’m not with the car at the moment, so I just thought I’d ask.
Old April 27th, 2020, 08:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

No one reproduces full quarters for these cars. Your only options are rust free sheet metal from a desert car or NOS if you can find them.

The trim has threaded studs with nuts at the ends. You access them from inside the trunk and under the rear quarter inside panels (yes, the back seat needs to come out to remove the side panels). The middle part of the trim just snaps over plastic retainers that are on weld studs.
Old April 27th, 2020, 10:47 AM

My Car had rust in the same area. That area of the car is basically flat so making your own patch panels is relatively easy.

There is roof skins for this car that would cover the area above that. From my own experience if you are not planning to keep it a vinyl roof car definitely go for a new roof skin. Trying to smooth out the thousands of small imperfections is like smoothing out a golf ball. I tried to smooth out my roof and for the effort, wish I went with a new roof skin.
Old April 27th, 2020, 10:51 AM

Thanks fellas!!!!!!!
Old May 10th, 2020, 04:37 PM
Majored in rear tire demo

Originally Posted by rickman; As for the back window metal, I would use something like this. [url
http://www.beldenspeed.com/rust-patch-panels/1968---1972-oldsmobile-cutlass-442-f85[/url]. I haven't ordered from these folks yet so not sure of the product but plan to use them on a few of my projects as I get to them. Hope this helps and good luck!
Rickman, I checked that site and the things they offer are pretty amazing! No matter what you own, they seem to make a patch panel for front and rear windows for vintage vehicles. The prices aren't too bad either, considering it saves you from buying a pan brake, shrinker/stretcher, etc.
I'm going for some rear window stuff for my 67 and will let people know how it turns out.
Old May 10th, 2020, 07:06 PM

Sounds like a plan. I look forward to your reviews on the panels and your experience with the supplier. Good Luck!