Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Paint Identifacation number

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2014, 03:41 AM

Paint Identifacation number

I have a oringinal 1985 442 and am going to paint it.I have found these numbers on a tag in the trunk Lacacquer WA-L8535 U8573 and the ID number IG3GK4798FR357256 my wife bought it brand new its the whole package T-top and even got the orininal bre for the hood and leather covers for the T-tops in the trunk and where is the best place to buy the paint any and all info would be greatly appreciated I am a new member here Thanks Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_4429.jpg (106.1 KB, 6 views)
100_4447.jpg (67.0 KB, 9 views)
100_4451.jpg (36.5 KB, 7 views)
100_4449.jpg (34.7 KB, 8 views)
Old August 7th, 2014, 07:18 AM

The "WA" numbers are your paint colors. The "L" signifies the lower color, and the "U" signifies the upper color. On the info tag it denotes "lacquer", but it appears from the photo there may be clear coat peeling, telling me it may have been repainted under warranty, or something, at some time. Goodness knows I painted enough of the GM delamination cars in the late 80's early 90's.

Painting is an acquired skill, so I would scour the internet for u-tube videos, and the like. It's hard to explain all the technicalities in a few short posts. Start with leaning trim removal, then body prep, then paint. I ruined the first few cars I painted, so start out practicing on family and friends, lol!

A basecoat/clearcoat system would be the most user friendly, if such a thing. I've seen friends save some pretty hideous paint jobs by wet sanding and buffing themselves into a coma, lol!

At any rate, practice, practice, practice. Good luck, Jim
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:03 AM

yes my wife had a drunk at the bar paint it!he didnt even sand it,I took off most the paint he spray with my high power washer,,,,,,,,,I am so pissed but luckly I know a little about auto body my brother in law taught me yes you are right on about getting repainted he did not even match the colors which I want original that you for all your help can I call on you in the future? Chuck
Old August 7th, 2014, 09:09 AM

Please tell me what brand of paint I should get for the best results I will not try to save money on this car Quality is first ! money is hard to come buy but I will spend what I have to on my wife"s classic
Old August 7th, 2014, 10:18 AM

You realize you are going to have to strip at least down to the original color, right? lol! Those things used to "lacquer check" like crazy, so I wouldn't be surprised if you had to take it down to metal. I think the burgundy cars were the worst though. Stripping and bodywork is a whole different category, so do your homework. There is great potential for warping and ruining the sheet metal if not done correctly, and I don't want the blame, lol! I highly suggest saving up the money and having it professionally done for the best results, not knowing the skill level you possess.

That being said, I use PPG's Deltron DBC basecoats, and the DAU 2021 clear. For your color combination I would use the DP50LF gray epoxy as a sealer. It is very expensive, and you'll probably have a good $1000 wrapped up in material. You have to remember your paint is only going to be as good as what you spray it over. Others may have some input on some cheaper paint lines that have proven effective for them. Generally, you are paying for color match, coverage, and durability/die down, in the high end paints.

Hope that helps a little,
Jim