Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Necessary Equipment & Info

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2012, 04:37 PM

Necessary Equipment & Info

Hey Guys,

Sorry for another post, but you all have been super helpful, so I keep coming back to ask more questions lol

I've decided to take on completely doing the body work for my car. I have a plan in my head and I want to be the one to do it. I'm sure you know what I mean

So can you guys point me to some necessary and helpful body work tools that I should look at purchasing, that makes life easier? Also, any tips, info and any other resources you guys may have would be extremely helpful.

I have a very custom look in mind for my car. But no worries, I wont be hacking the car up and I will keep it completely Olds powered.

Thanks!

Oh, one more question. I've had some (small) spots that I've come across where rust has eaten through the old spot welds. Like where the quarter panel meets the top part of the trunk. What is the best way to fix this?

Thanks again!
Old May 19th, 2012, 06:23 PM

You'll need quite a few things, actually. First is a MIG welder. Then you'll need sanding utensils like a board file or air board file. A palm dual action sander is another must. A bunch of different sized putty spreaders.

And for the rust you mentioned.....you should have a spot blaster (sand blaster) if it's small and a big sand blaster if it's a lot of rust. Then cut the old piece out (that's not saveable) and weld a new piece in.
Old May 19th, 2012, 11:43 PM

have you ever done any body work? maybe a class at a local college would be of interest,or hang out at a local bodyshop. even if its just to sweep the place up for free,you will be able to pick up on how things are done and what tools you will need. pick their brain. rusty bodywork is not for the faint of heart. but can be learned. i can tell you from experience,one thing will lead to another in rust repair.
Old May 20th, 2012, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by oldolds88
have you ever done any body work? maybe a class at a local college would be of interest,or hang out at a local bodyshop. even if its just to sweep the place up for free,you will be able to pick up on how things are done and what tools you will need. pick their brain. rusty bodywork is not for the faint of heart. but can be learned. i can tell you from experience,one thing will lead to another in rust repair.
My brother in law wanted his truck painted. I told him I'd do it, but he had to do all the light sanding. I did all the grinding, welding, body filling, sanding etc. To make a long story short, he got two hours in light sanding all the paint with 320 grit and was ready to call it a day.

His response was "how the hell do you do this all day long.....every day?" You just get used to it, I guess.
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Just an Olds Guy

have you ever done any body work? maybe a class at a local college would be of interest, rusty bodywork is not for the faint of heart. but can be learned.
True. I also am seriously looking at buying a MIG and getting some welding lessons. The hands on skills I usually pick up pretty fast.

i can tell you from experience,one thing will lead to another in rust repair.
You must have been watching my 1995 Olds 98 rust repair thread!! Truer words never spoken. AND, if you're not doing the work yourself, it's $$$$$. What I found from experience? Rust comes back......prolly more due to poor design than workmanship and products.