Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

How to replace Wiper burl

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2019, 09:21 AM
50 Olds FAN

How to replace Wiper burl

My 1950 passenger side windshield wiper burl (approximately 1/2" round piece with many ridges which the wiper arm base slides onto when you install the arm) came off inside the wiper arm base when I took it off (for some reason). I was able to get the piece out of the arm base but how to put it back on the post, (approximately 3/16" O.D.) on the base of the windshield, for good?
The 3/16" post is also fluted with small grooves which fit tightly inside the center of the main 1/2" O.D. burl, which is the one you see when you take off the wiper arm.
I have tried pressing the burl back on the small post but the post slides inside the cowl without any resistance. I must crawl under the dash, snake my arm/hand way up there above the glove box, and push the mechanism back outward and try again.
There is no locking ring or set screw to keep that wiper post from sliding in and out at will. Am I missing a piece of some sort? A close-up of one that is intact would help. The exploded diagram in the shop manual is unhelpful to me.
Old April 8th, 2019, 10:08 AM

The post is staked on to the arm found under the dashboard. The post, chrome plated die-cast trim, bearing, washer nozzle if so equipped, and stamped steel arm are a assembly. So unbolt it under dash, remove from outside and assemble. Make sure you do not stake the arm on upside down, or flipped end to end.

I can post pis of a removed unit if needed, but otherwise that's about it.
Old April 8th, 2019, 06:45 PM
50 Olds FAN

You are right! It totally worked. I had to take the wiper arm out through the opening in the cowl, fix the problem, and then sneak it back down the same hole. I never would’ve thought of that if it weren’t for your suggestion. Thank you!