Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

How is the quarter window chrome trim removed?

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2009, 07:04 AM

How is the quarter window chrome trim removed?

I just purchased a new chrome channel for the quarter window. What is the best way to remove the old one, install the new rubber seal and re-install the chrome channel to the window? I've never done anything like this so any advice would be very helpful!
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:28 AM

I got the old trim piece off. The new one does not want to fit evenly. Is there a trick to installing this?
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Registered Luser

First of all, make sure you use some sort of adhesive and tap it on carefully and evenly a little at a time...use a block of wood if you have to!
Old May 10th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Any suggestions on an adhesive?
Old May 10th, 2009, 02:04 PM

3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive should work fine. Part # 051135 is black.
Parts stores have it on the shelf.
Old May 10th, 2009, 02:08 PM

When I replaced my 1/4 window trim I was told to use a special rubber tape just for this glass trim. It is called glass setting tape. I bought this tape from Restoration Specialties and Supply. It is on page 32 of their on line catalog. It is non adhiesive but is kind of like a rubbery tar like substance and can be bought in 4 different thicknesses depending on your trim channel thickness and glass thickness. You lay the tape over the edge of the glass so it is even on both sides and then press the trim piece over it, then trim the excess. The trim goes on hard and stays put once you have it pressed on. I believe they sold me 1/16" thick, but it went on so hard I would try 3/64" or 1/32" if I was going to do it again. Good luck.
Old May 14th, 2009, 04:49 AM

Some of that stuff came with the trim piece. I think I've got it on for good. Thanks!
Old June 15th, 2009, 07:34 PM
69 Cutlass Convertible

I am also working on replacing the trim on the quarter window. Can you post how you did it? I have a rubber strip that came with the trim piece and I thought I would use a little weatherstrip adhesive like hamm said, but how did you get the chrome over everything? Any tricks or advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old November 19th, 2009, 01:31 PM

Question Re-attach quarter window molding - convertible

Originally Posted by Doug69Cutlass
When I replaced my 1/4 window trim I was told to use a special rubber tape just for this glass trim. It is called glass setting tape. I bought this tape from Restoration Specialties and Supply. It is on page 32 of their on line catalog. It is non adhiesive but is kind of like a rubbery tar like substance and can be bought in 4 different thicknesses depending on your trim channel thickness and glass thickness. You lay the tape over the edge of the glass so it is even on both sides and then press the trim piece over it, then trim the excess. The trim goes on hard and stays put once you have it pressed on. I believe they sold me 1/16" thick, but it went on so hard I would try 3/64" or 1/32" if I was going to do it again. Good luck.
I'm in the process of re-attaching the chrome quarter window molding on my convertible and found this thread during a search.

The Fisher Body manual mentions using either a "medium-bodied sealer or body caulking compound .... to provide either a watertight seal or for anti-rattle measures". What 'off the shelf' sealer has anyone used with lasting results? I have Weatherstrip adhesive, but i dont' think it's the same thing.

Also, I like the process outlined above by Doug69Cutlass where glass setting tape is installed. Anyone else use this with success? And if so, what thickness of tape was applied? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by stlbluesbrother; November 19th, 2009 at 01:48 PM. Reason: new title
Old November 19th, 2009, 07:06 PM

Throw away the rubber seal that comes with it if that was included (not the rubber seal that slides in and contacts the door glass when both windows are up)....they are a joke and junk.

Use glass tape as already mentioned.

If you use glass tape then you won't need ANYTHING ELSE...just like the factory did and those things stay on a LONG TIME.
Old March 25th, 2013, 10:43 PM

So how did you all originally remove the chrome piece from the quarter glass?
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:14 PM

Take a piece of hard plastic or wood and set the edge against the edge of the chrome trim piece. Light tapping, etc with a hammer on the plastic/wood.
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post
Take a piece of hard plastic or wood and set the edge against the edge of the chrome trim piece. Light tapping, etc with a hammer on the plastic/wood.
Thanks, friend! I'll try it.
Old March 28th, 2013, 09:27 AM

Start the tapping at the top of the chrome piece....seems to come loose easier doing that VS. tapping in the middle where there's more resistance.
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:53 AM

I'm also in the process of doing this. The original channels came off easily as Patton described, although I started at the bottom as the channels extended a little past the edge of the glass there. The replacements I got from Fusick came with that rather thick rubber seal, way thicker than what came off the original. But I folded it over the glass and began tapping on the new channel with a rubber mallet, stupidly without using a block of wood. Of course the channel just folded in on itself and never slid over the glass, and I kicked myself for destroying a new part. Later I test fitted the opposite side channel on its glass without any seal at all - it fit snugly over the glass, so the thin glass setting tape Doug mentioned appears to be the key. I'll get some and try again.

I'm glad I found this thread, I didn't know what to do after my first failure!
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:48 AM

Thanks for all the advise. :-)