General Questions Place to post your questions that don't fit into one of the specific forums below.

1966 F85 Quarter Window Seals and Chrome

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2011, 06:31 PM

1966 F85 Quarter Window Seals and Chrome

Any one know how to install the quarter window seal along with the trim. I drove my 66 all day today and when I was putting the cover on her in the garage I notice that my Quarter Window seal along with chrome strip was gone. I think it may have flown off on the highway, unless someone stole it. Also does anyone have any drivers side chrome for the quarter window or know which company sells them. I am having a hard time finding any for sale.
Old August 12th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by CutlassLegend
Any one know how to install the quarter window seal along with the trim. I drove my 66 all day today and when I was putting the cover on her in the garage I notice that my Quarter Window seal along with chrome strip was gone. I think it may have flown off on the highway, unless someone stole it. Also does anyone have any drivers side chrome for the quarter window or know which company sells them. I am having a hard time finding any for sale.
Those suckers don't just fly off on the highway so someone must have stolen it.

Fusick has it on page 68 of their new August 2011 catalogue. Rubber is 23.50 a pair and the channel it sits in is 42.00. You might find them cheaper somewhere else or you could do an on line search at ..ebay..
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:03 AM

I've probably got a used channel, but you'll still need the new rubber insert.
John
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Those suckers don't just fly off on the highway so someone must have stolen it.

Fusick has it on page 68 of their new August 2011 catalogue. Rubber is 23.50 a pair and the channel it sits in is 42.00. You might find them cheaper somewhere else or you could do an on line search at ..ebay..
They actually WILL fly off. I have a pass side one that fits loose that blew off a few times (luckily it didnt fly away)- so i used an adhesive(3M spray) on it to keep it affixed to the glass. It was amazing that it happeded as I had to really drive them hard to get them seated when I first put the new ones on!
Old August 13th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Chesrown 67 OAI
They actually WILL fly off. I have a pass side one that fits loose that blew off a few times (luckily it didnt fly away)- so i used an adhesive(3M spray) on it to keep it affixed to the glass. It was amazing that it happeded as I had to really drive them hard to get them seated when I first put the new ones on!
Good thing you got it before it developed wings. The intent of my post was to suggest that under normal conditions (like having them properly secured to the glass) they pretty much stay put. I suppose that with time if there is any butyl behind the channel holding it in, it might let go. My 72 needs to have both sides removed so I can install (new) softray tinted glass. Those channels are on there pretty darn tight.

So while I base my channel comment more on my car, I bow to your experience with loose and almost flying parts
Old August 13th, 2011, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I've probably got a used channel, but you'll still need the new rubber insert.
John

what are you asking for the channel. I would rather use a oem part so the chrome match mine as mine is a driver. If i buy the repor I will have to change both.
Old August 13th, 2011, 05:12 PM

Let me see how hard it is to pull one off the glass, price will be based on that

Which side did you need? Oops! I re-read and see it's the drivers side you need.
John
Old August 13th, 2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Let me see how hard it is to pull one off the glass, price will be based on that

Which side did you need? Oops! I re-read and see it's the drivers side you need.
John
John do you have any 66 4 speed stuff or auto console stuff. Just in case my urge to keep her original should be defeated by my need to look cool and bang gears. Let me know.
Old August 13th, 2011, 05:45 PM

Pm sent
Old August 13th, 2011, 06:35 PM

Here's a couple pictures. If I remember I'll try again just after the sun goes down to reduce the glare. It looks pretty good, I think you could polish it and make it very nice. How about $15 plus shipping?

I may have a set of clutch pedals from a 1965, then I have two broken shifters for the automatic on the floor. The "T" handles are missing and the little ears are broken off, sadly that's very common. Check out the photos and let me know if you have any questions about the window trim channel. John

P1010333.jpg

P1010334.jpg
Old August 13th, 2011, 06:46 PM

It looks good and price is fair. The rubber that attaches to the closed window, how exactly is the new one installed, also do they sell it, I know they sell the inner seal for the channel. I may be interested in your pedals also if you have z bar, 4 speed throttle linkage/carb linkage, and any other item that I can stock up on. I can always use this stuff as all I own and is and will continue to be 66-67 F85-442.
Old August 13th, 2011, 06:53 PM

I believe the rubber slides in the slot. Allen R shared in his post that Fusick has both the rubber insert and the metal channel. I like Fusick and would encourage you to check out their products. Would you send me a PM with your shipping address so I can get the shipping costs? I already sent a PM with comments on the 4 speed or auto floor shift. John
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:08 PM

Pm sent
Old August 13th, 2011, 07:37 PM

Guys thanks for all your help, I just found the chrome trim inbetween the quarter panel and the rear door panel. It must have fallen down in there when I rolled the quarter window down. I will just have to get the seal the goes inside the channel as it looks dry rotted. Damn getting this thing out was a b****. Thanks for chinese fingers.