Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Hail damage

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2014, 05:39 AM

Hail damage

Hi
So 18 yrs ago my dad bought a 71 442. I was 12 yrs old riding my bike through neighborhood and seen it and told him so he bought it cause the guy just freshly painted it and it got caught in a hale storm. But interior was shot motor was smoking like crazy but a runner. Anyway the next 3 years were spent with my dad replacing interior, replacing suspension front and back and rebuilding drivetrain, just making a good driver out of it. Anyway 6 months ago he offered to sell it to me if I wanted it. Needless to say 10g and 6 months later it mine. ( my 442 story). How can I carefully remove the 10 nickel size hale dents from the roof and deck lid and front fenders. 10-15 dents total mostly on roof and deck lid. Still good paint just a 50 footer.
Old December 29th, 2014, 05:49 AM
KVP

We had two newer vehicles were hail damaged. They were repaired by using the paintless dent procedure and turned out great. No repaint was needed. That said, they were made of high strength steel so a bit of a different animal.
Old December 29th, 2014, 06:04 AM
Administrator

It's not as easy doing paintless dent repair on the older cars. You can try to contact one and try. If not, your looking at body and paint work.
Old December 29th, 2014, 06:20 AM

Red face

First of all, let me start by saying that I am NOT a body/paintwork man.....

BUT, I have heard/read of using dry ice to remove small hail dents; leave the car outdoors in full sun until the metal is hot, and place a small block of dry ice over the dent; the metal should shrink, and remove the dent, without damaging the paint!

I have NO IDEA if this works, though.....but I might try to find out on my present car, a 1986 Crown Vic Country Squire, as, somewheere in it's past, it acquired a few hail dents, and the paint is too nice to even try to repaint.
Old December 31st, 2014, 03:49 PM

Dry ice didn't work for me. I say Dent Wizards, they have worked on my old cars w/ no probs. The prob is if there is filler, which in the roof is unlikely. You need somebody good, there are good guys and bad guys. The headliner may be a problem. Get a package deal, don't let them charge you by the dent. Have 1 or 2 done and see if you are happy.