Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Generally speaking, what is the going rate for body work?

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Registered Luser

Huh! Reply.....

Well, being this thread is about to crash into the weeds, Allan R, I make one statement referring to your "observation or opinion"(whatever word you want to insert) on the collision industry and you proceed to methodically dissect my reply. I guess I'm not allowed to have an opinion...sorry, whether I base it on fact or not. Back to the OP's original question, which, if I remember correctly, asked if we thought 15K to get the "tub" of said car "ready for paint" was outrageous, well HELL YES IT IS! There's no doubt to that, unless he's priming it in 14k gold. There are a few beautiful examples of A-Body Oldses going for much less on e-bay right now that are turn key!
Old February 12th, 2012, 05:21 PM

When I lived in Flower Mound, Texas (north of DFW), A local body shop replaced two quarters, the trunk pan, and the entire floor pan for $2400 in my 71 cutlass convertible. That was to get it in primer so I could complete the rest. His first guy didn't really match up the lines in the trunk, but he hired a new guy who fixed that and did the quarters and all.

I was very pleased with what I got from him and was excited to begin work on it... until I moved to Louisiana and parked it in my dads shed in Aug '08, where hurricane Gustav proceeded to place two huge oak trees across said shed... so much for that car...

BTW, look at this thread to see the results...https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...onv-worth.html

Last edited by btrbill; February 12th, 2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: added url
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:36 AM

A contract is required on all major expenditures, such as body work.

WHAT will be done

HOW it will be done

WHEN it will be done

WHO will do the work

HOW much will it cost

Add in a paragraph about contingencies, and you will avoid the hostage syndrome.

Had a buddy put his '66 Mustang into a small shop, and he ended up putting almost $20k into it....in the early 1990's......
Old February 13th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by My442

WHAT will be done

HOW it will be done

WHEN it will be done

WHO will do the work

HOW much will it cost

Add in a paragraph about contingencies, and you will avoid the hostage syndrome.

Had a buddy put his '66 Mustang into a small shop, and he ended up putting almost $20k into it....in the early 1990's......
Old February 13th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by My442

WHAT will be done

HOW it will be done

WHEN it will be done

WHO will do the work

I keep messing this reply up -wrong buttons!
Exactly!,and any guy who takes his business seriously and with some degree of honesty will have no problem slapping his signature on it!

Ted

HOW much will it cost

Old February 13th, 2012, 05:43 AM

This might not help much but what the hey, The guy I bought my Cutlass from had a few gestamates one guy said he could touch up and buff out the paint and detail the car for $6000. Another guy did total nut and bolt show car restorations gave a price of around $28000 . I'm a bodyman buy trade, I'v worked in lots of different shops more than 20 years ago , now I have never done a total restoration on any of my own cars. My current project is the first major build I'v attempted in 20 years its like learning all over again. I figure if you have basic understanding for working on cars and do lots of research , with a lot of patients you can do most of the work your self. Maybe farm out the paint and save a ton of cash. Plus its kinda fun and when your dun you can say I did that.
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Actually it was Huh? not Huh!

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Well, being this thread is about to crash into the weeds Allan R, I make one statement referring to your "observation or opinion"(whatever word you want to insert) on the collision industry and you proceed to methodically dissect my reply.
That sounds like you're taking it as personal I did with your condescending remarks to 'educate' me about how the insurance industry works. That started my response to you. So I'm not allowed to have an opinion either without you reaming my *** out? I hardly see how my post has any bearing on your comment to me. If you re-read my post, you will realize my comments were specifically about the chargeout from the bodyshop for what 'looked like excessive labor rates' to me, which is OP related to cost of production. Nothing more, nothing less. You took it to the next level.

I guess I'm not allowed to have an opinion...sorry, whether I base it on fact or not.
Really? Re-read what I wrote, + I was in agreement on several of your comments including your right to have differing opinions.

Back to the OP's original question, which, if I remember correctly, asked if we thought 15K to get the "tub" of said car "ready for paint" was outrageous, well HELL YES IT IS!
Seems like we agree again....

Obviously some content of this thread got way off topic. Since I don't have anything more to contribute, I bow out of the discussion. Sorry it came to this type of misunderstanding and hurt feelings. Written communication isn't the best medium, but it's what the forum offers. We're not that far apart on our viewpoints, and there's no doubt we're both strongwilled individuals. I thing we both can learn from this and move on. No hard feelings from my end.
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:33 AM
wait.... what....

My car is at the body shop right now, and i got quoted 7500. I have seen the quality of work that this shop does, and the quality of work they are now putting into my car. I go at least once a week and check on the progress. I did a lot of repairs myself, took the car down to bare steel, and epoxy primed the car myself, but i am no body man. Since my car will be painted black i figured the pros will get the outside of the car straighter than i can.
Old February 13th, 2012, 01:41 PM

If you think that the cost of a paint job is high, then price out the materials needed, and add them up. I need a gallon of red paint for my car, and a gallon of PPG acrylic lacquer red is $860! Thinners that cost $28 a gallon last year, are now $45 a gallon. I don't know why these material costs are going out of sight, I just know that I have checked the prices in a few places, and they are all about the same. I can't call it inflation, since even inflation hasn't risen that amount in the last year.