Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Front Bumper Alignment Issue

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2009, 10:58 AM

Front Bumper Alignment Issue

Okay, here's where I make a comfession...

I bought a reproduction bumper...there I said it...

I live near Portland Oregon and the state EPA has shut down chrome platers that can handle large bumpers in the area so my only recourse was to buy a reproduction at this point.

I tried to install it on the car yesterday. When I look at it straight on however, it seems slightly out of alignment with the center of the stone shield, BUT it is in alignment on the outside with the fenders.

Any suggestion??? Is this an issue with fender alignment, core support alignment, bumper defect? or is this common even on factor original cars?
Old June 8th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Past Administrator

I moved your thread into this forum. Better for future browsers as they may have a similar problem and find the solution in this thread, plus it keeps the newbie forum cleaned up.
Addressing your question, is it possible the stone shield is the culprit? If not, or you aren't sure, a few pictures sure would help.
Old June 8th, 2009, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I moved your thread into this forum. Better for future browsers as they may have a similar problem and find the solution in this thread, plus it keeps the newbie forum cleaned up.
Addressing your question, is it possible the stone shield is the culprit? If not, or you aren't sure, a few pictures sure would help.
Thanks for moving the post. For some reason when I log in, it says that I'm only allowed to post in the Newbie thread. I thought maybe I was in trouble for something and got held back a grade.

Anyway, I thought it might be the stone shield too, but I've tried to re-align the whole front assmbly, but the the grille bolts, stone shield center bolt, trim aroung the headlights all seem to be lined up.

I'm thinking that it might be the fender alignment or a combination of the fender and the core support being off. The body shop lined them up prior to the front assmbly being finished and the bumper on. I'm thinking about just taking it in.

I'll work on getting some pictures. to post back in a few days and if I stumble on a resolution I'll post back my findings.
Old June 8th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Past Administrator

If you are referring to the announcement in red near the top of the menu bar in the New Users Forum it is a general announcement, not to you specifically. If you still get some kind of other announcement that you are limited in your activities here let Omicron know and he will check it out for you, just send him a PM.
Old June 8th, 2009, 06:44 PM

This is John down in Medford Oregon. Yes if you can post some photos we can compare them to our cars and let you know what looks to be amiss. Have you been to Supercarsunlimited there in Portland? IMHO he's the best Oldsmobile guru in the Portland area.
Old June 9th, 2009, 04:57 AM

Me Too

I also purchased a repro front bumper, mine came from the Parts Place. I have the same issue....The front points seem to stick out from the stone
shield, but line up on the sides. I assumed it was because there is some front end damage to the core support....where a deer struck the car. I was hoping when I get the lazy's out and finally replace my core support, which I have had for months, it would sort out the alignment issues. I will snap a few photos tonight and we can compare.
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Maybe if you have the original or an original and mock it up with that to see if it lines up?
Old June 10th, 2009, 04:18 AM

Pics.

Does yours look like mine??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_1905.jpg (30.5 KB, 112 views)
100_1906.JPG (108.1 KB, 103 views)
100_1907.JPG (110.6 KB, 103 views)
100_1908.JPG (111.5 KB, 98 views)
100_1909.jpg (29.2 KB, 93 views)
Old June 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM

I've heard it is very difficult to align body panels and bumpers if you don't have experience. Perhaps you could ask a friend that knows bodywork to help you out...
Old March 25th, 2015, 06:32 PM

Hi
I have the same issue, it looks exactly like yours in the pictures. What did you do to figure it out?
thanks
Old March 26th, 2015, 02:41 AM

Bumpers are not very heavy metal and with the middle sticking out like that, I would cover the nose of the bumper with blankets or pads and GENTLY bump it up against a solid wooden post, hydro pole or fence post to GENTLY force it into alignment. Remove the stone shield first and re-fit after each push.
Old March 27th, 2015, 08:54 AM

That is what I did in the end... Once I had my new core support in the bumper was "massaged" into alignment. Still fighting with fender/hood alignment though... Wish I had taken better notes where all the shims came from... Oh well guess I will know better next time.
Old March 27th, 2015, 09:06 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

FYI for future ref if someone searches the archives....NorthStar now part of Key Stone in Minneapolis/St Paul does an excellent job on rechroming real USA made bumpers. Send in a core receive a nice shinny one back. Also Pauls Chrome out of Evans City Pennsylvania is another top notch chromer. Pauls does NCRS top flight plating for the vette crowd.
Old March 27th, 2015, 10:00 AM

Myself and some other members here used Ogden Chrome in Ogden, Utah. Their work is amazing. Somewhat pricey as in $600 per bumper, but again beautiful finish.

Steve