Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Don’t want to replace vinyl top 68 Cutlass S

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2019, 09:06 PM

Don’t want to replace vinyl top 68 Cutlass S

Hey guys,

Had my roof replaced a couple years back and after that fustercluck of a job I have no desire to put new vinyl up there so I’ll be painting it all one color. Obviously now I have gaps where the vinyl once was. Do I have to remove the trim, grind everything down & fill the gaps in? At a loss as what to do here. I’m sure this has been asked before but not recently that I can see. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

—Mango
Old March 11th, 2019, 05:18 AM

I think all you need to do is to remove all trim that separated the vinyl from the paint, grind-down the studs that fastened them, smooth whats left w/ mud and paint. I think this is basically just the trim behind the rear window that wraps across the trunk lid.
Old March 11th, 2019, 08:19 AM
Old(s) Fart

There are a few fastener holes that need to be welded up - one at either end of the trunk trim and a couple on each side on the quarter panel. The weld studs are easy to grind off.
Old March 11th, 2019, 08:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

IDK why you wouldn't just make it into a two tone (paint) car and leave the trim alone.
Old March 12th, 2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
IDK why you wouldn't just make it into a two tone (paint) car and leave the trim alone.
The rear trim was removed when the roof was replaced. No studs to attach the trim to anymore.
Old March 12th, 2019, 11:05 AM

not sure if its auveco or ? but the little t studs are available aftermarket and the have a small thread on them you turn in with a phllips to attach the plastic clips that go in the trim pieces, or actually snap in to the trim pieces
Old March 12th, 2019, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by jurrasicpork
The rear trim was removed when the roof was replaced. No studs to attach the trim to anymore.
What "gaps where the vinyl once was" are you referring to then? Do you mean "pits" in the roof, A- and C-pillar metal underneath where the vinyl was once glued? If so, then yes, that needs to be sanded and smoothed with body filler. I don't think you need to remove any chrome trim from the drip rails to do that though.

Or are you referring to gaps in the drip-rail chrome trim where the vinyl was once tucked-under? If so, that's a good question. I think that it would just be a matter of crimping the trim tighter on the drip rails to close that gap. I've never removed the drip rail chrome trim, so I don't know how hard that is to do (or if it is even advisable).
Old March 14th, 2019, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S
What "gaps where the vinyl once was" are you referring to then? Do you mean "pits" in the roof, A- and C-pillar metal underneath where the vinyl was once glued? If so, then yes, that needs to be sanded and smoothed with body filler. I don't think you need to remove any chrome trim from the drip rails to do that though.

Or are you referring to gaps in the drip-rail chrome trim where the vinyl was once tucked-under? If so, that's a good question. I think that it would just be a matter of crimping the trim tighter on the drip rails to close that gap. I've never removed the drip rail chrome trim, so I don't know how hard that is to do (or if it is even advisable).
sorry, referring to the gaps in the drip rail. It’s got a fair amount of rust. I’m worried that crimping it would end up trapping moisture and ruining the new roof down the road. No way in hell am I replacing that again!
Old March 15th, 2019, 06:38 PM

There used to be a kit to use with a wrinkle painted roof that included tape to make it look like a vinyl roof. No problem with rust after that.