Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Best Re-pop sheet metal

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2019, 02:43 PM

Best Re-pop sheet metal

About to finally bite the bullet and attack the rust/rot on my 68 and I see Goodmark and Golden Star everywhere for my quarters. I think this stuff is all made in china......Is it any good? I would guess its much thinner than OEM. Anyone have opinions on this stuff?
Old September 28th, 2019, 03:46 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Chumpy2112
About to finally bite the bullet and attack the rust/rot on my 68 and I see Goodmark and Golden Star everywhere for my quarters. I think this stuff is all made in china......Is it any good? I would guess its much thinner than OEM. Anyone have opinions on this stuff?
The partial quarters will all require a lot of metal finishing to look good. If you can find rust free original quarters from the desert southwest, you'll be money ahead to get them. In particular, if you get them cut beyond the stock spot welds, you can do a much better installation job. Of course, if all you need are small patches, get the partial quarters and cut what you need.
Old September 28th, 2019, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The partial quarters will all require a lot of metal finishing to look good. If you can find rust free original quarters from the desert southwest, you'll be money ahead to get them. In particular, if you get them cut beyond the stock spot welds, you can do a much better installation job. Of course, if all you need are small patches, get the partial quarters and cut what you need.
Thanks for the reply, I have been trying to locate some clean ones. Found a whole rear half in CT for 1600. might go that route.
Old December 12th, 2019, 11:57 AM

repop panels

Look, all these repop panels are not as bad as everyone thinks. They are better than they were 10 even 5 years ago. The restoration shop doing the work on my car told me the panels I have for my car are very good and the companies producing them would not be in business if the panels were as bad as everyone says. They are all made high tech now and the steel is just as good as it was in the 60s or 70s. All the panels for our new cars are made in the same factories as these repops. Keep an open mind, do some research, talk to body shops, restoration centres and find the best ones you can.
Old December 12th, 2019, 12:31 PM
Beer Connoisseur

I believe AMD has the best quality repop panels.
On my Chevelle everything lined up properly without major problems. Same gauge as original and no major tweaking needed to fit. At first I bought Goodmark and ended up sending everything back.

People that complain about repop probably forgot that even GM replacement panels were not the greatest.

EDIT: AMD selection for Olds is limited.

Last edited by 70cutty; December 12th, 2019 at 12:34 PM.