Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

84 olds custom cruiser

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2015, 10:20 AM

84 olds custom cruiser

Does anyone have any experience at removing the wood grain vinyl siding used on the wagons in the 80's. A heat gun does not seem to do much to it. I bought new 3m siding and would appreciate any tips and advice on how to put on the new. Thanks.

Phil scott
Old February 5th, 2015, 10:26 AM

84 olds custom cruiser

Does anyone have any experience removing and replacing the wood grain vinyl siding used on the wagons in the 80's. A heat gun doesn't seem to do much to it. I have the new vinyl but need tips on how to apply the new also. Thanks.

Phil scott
Old February 5th, 2015, 10:38 AM

The heat gun is the correct way ... but not too much heat. Heat it too much and instead of loosening the glue, you bake it. It also helps to score it so that it comes off in narrow strips.
Old February 5th, 2015, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am confused what you mean by scoring? If i take a knife and slice it into sections isnt this going to cut into the paint surface underneath? Any tips on putting on the new vinyl?

Phil scott
Old February 5th, 2015, 10:57 AM

You just have to control the cut depth. There are special cutters designed for this, but I just modify a box cutter for it. You don't have to go all the way through. Just a slice half way deep is enough to serve as a tear line. As for putting it on, there are videos on youtube showing the technique ... but when it comes time to do mine, I'll just be taking it to a shop that does vinyl wraps. In this sort of thing, experience makes all the difference. They've got the skills and tools to get it right the first time. When you're talking 19' long ... that's a whole lot of space to make a mistake.
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:49 AM

I agree. I got a bid from a shop here for $1600 to repaint the car then put on the vinyl. I paid $425.00 for the 3m vinyl so it is going to cost me about $2000 but on a car that size i thought that was reasonable. This guy knew all about the vinyl siding and has been in the business for years. Thanks for the info. Phil scott
Old February 5th, 2015, 12:12 PM

We want the before and after pics too. Gotta love the love boats.
Old February 5th, 2015, 03:32 PM
Old(s) Fart

I merged your two identical threads. Once again, you'll get better information faster if you keep all responses in a single thread. That way everyone can see and expand on prior posts.

Originally Posted by philjr
Does anyone have any experience removing and replacing the wood grain vinyl siding used on the wagons in the 80's. A heat gun doesn't seem to do much to it. I have the new vinyl but need tips on how to apply the new also. Thanks.

Phil scott
A heat gun is the only way I know of, short of a body grinder. Are you using a real heat gun or a hair dryer?

For application, align the applique with tape reference marks before peeling the backing paper. Wet the sheetmetal with water that has a few drops of dish soap in it. Align the applique on the wet sheetmetal and squeegee out the water and any air bubbles. The soapy water will let you slide it around a little before it sticks in place.
Old February 6th, 2015, 03:00 AM

Ok thanks i have decided to take it to a professional body shop. I have a real heat gun but it is still hard to get it loose. They say they use some sort of chemical to soften it. Some have used oven cleaner to loosen it also. Thanks for all the replies but think this one i had better just let the pros do it. Phil
Old February 6th, 2015, 06:18 AM

I fully support that decision. They're used to working on Econolines and trucks. Pop it into a booth with IR lamps trained on it and they'll have it stripped in a hurry.