Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

71 442 Door Skin installation Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2019, 03:29 AM

71 442 Door Skin installation Recommendation

I have an an NOS door skin that needs installed on a 71 442, can anyone recommend a body shop in or around the Cleveland Oh. area that can do it properly?

Thanks-

Dave
Old January 16th, 2019, 12:09 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

There is no easy answer here. The shop will need the whole car. You have to fit the skin on and partially shift it to get the fit needed and they always need a little attention near the top of the fenders. I would highly avoid any shop who will do them with out there car at their shop. You need the fenders on and lined up correctly along with the hood to make sure its as right as can be. So really the door skins are more involved than just taking it to a shop. I did door skins on my 72 a few winters ago. I looked at many cars at MCACN show and mine fit much better but...….. I made a few modifications to get my door gaps much better than how GM delivered them. If you where closer id offer to take on the job as I limit my work to smaller jobs.

Old January 16th, 2019, 04:35 PM

Great of you to respond, appreciate all of the information. I had a good idea the car would have to be available. How did yours turn out on the inside? Any pics you can post or send? Any thoughts on coming here to do it in our shop?

thanks-

-Dave

Old January 16th, 2019, 06:10 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I hope the link works according to facebook you don't need an account to see the pictures. Its the entire photo album of my winter work on my olds back in 2016 where I did the door skins. I restored the car back in 2008 and it got uglier as I had it longer ( wrecked it in 2010) and wasn't worried about looks as much as performance. So much of the work you are seeing was done over work that was already properly done at one point or I was re doing work I wasn't happy with when I did it early on in my career. Going to you will be a bit hard for the simple reason im getting married in april but it may be a possibility. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10155430178643502&type=1&l=fad34cea44

If that does not work. I had a thread where I shared my progress on my re paint on this site. https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-part-2-a.html
Old January 17th, 2019, 03:21 AM

Wow! nice work and thanks for sharing. Ive forwarded the pics on to the owner, we want the project done right and thought it was best to get an Olds guy with experience to do the job. Thanks for considering coming this way, Ill get back with thoughts on that.
Also- congrats on your upcoming wedding!

-Dave