General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Garage Door Openers Security

Old October 30th, 2013, 11:48 AM

Garage Door Openers Security

Hey gang,

I'm looking for some input on garage door openers and how secure they really are. We live in a condo complex and our 2 garages are in a row with 10 others. The problem is that once in a blue moon, a neighbor may open their door and ours will open along with it! This happened a while back and I ran out and asked my neighbor to close her door with her remote....sure as hell, my door went down at the same time! I reprogrammed my opener and it didn't happen again but that never happened before then either so why did it that time?

I'm starting to think about unplugging the opener on the Olds' side and padlocking the door when I'm not using the car. I've read too many posts about cars being stolen right out of people's garage and yet none of them ever mentioned a garage door that opened on its own so this is definitely concerning to me!

Do you guys know anything about newer openers and their "rolling code technology"? Our openers are a little older and work perfectly but I will gladly replace them if I can feel assured that this concern will be elminated with newer technology.

thanks!
John
Old October 30th, 2013, 12:00 PM
same but different

I think the newer ones with rolling codes just offer more protection. Protection from what you just describe. There is only so many codes and eventually it will roll back into yours as well. I think the odds are pretty low though and it would take awhile.

I've allways thought the older ones were simple am radio type receiver/transmitters. They used dip switchs and could be changed pretty easily for something like your example.

I remember a time when using a scanner/police scanner it would show my frequency being used. Kinda like the older cordless phones too.

Garage door security is a good topic to discuss. If you browse youtube, you can see how easy it is to break in. Not good, and neither is "lock bumping". Scary.

I really don't know much about them other than my simple understanding.
Old October 30th, 2013, 12:38 PM

http://www.liftmaster.com/lmcv2/

This is what I have, couldn't be happier
Old October 30th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

John, I think the chances of having the garage door open by someone else in the complex has been solved already? Seriously I wouldn't worry about it any more. We have 18 houses in our cul-de-sac and all of them have auto garage doors. Not a single one has the same frequency. I think the issue you described is simply the result of all the complex ordering all the same equipment for all the same units at the same time. What you can do if you want is go through the complex with your opener and see if it works on anyone else's door. If not? Problem solved.

Keeping the garage door locked when the 98 isn't being used is a good idea IMO. Unfortunately for me though I only have a single 16' door for both the Olds and my wife's car.
Old October 30th, 2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by don71
I think the newer ones with rolling codes just offer more protection. Protection from what you just describe. There is only so many codes and eventually it will roll back into yours as well. I think the odds are pretty low though and it would take awhile.

Garage door security is a good topic to discuss. If you browse youtube, you can see how easy it is to break in. Not good, and neither is "lock bumping". Scary.

I've seen how easy it is and you're absolutely right that it's down right scary! In a way, I'm glad our doors don't have windows because I know they make it that much easier to break in.

Hopefully we'll get some good feedback on this topic so we can all educate each other on this and keep the thieves at bay!
Originally Posted by Allan R
John, I think the chances of having the garage door open by someone else in the complex has been solved already? Seriously I wouldn't worry about it any more. We have 18 houses in our cul-de-sac and all of them have auto garage doors. Not a single one has the same frequency. I think the issue you described is simply the result of all the complex ordering all the same equipment for all the same units at the same time. What you can do if you want is go through the complex with your opener and see if it works on anyone else's door. If not? Problem solved.

I'm not so sure about this Allan. Our complex is approaching 30 years old and the openers have almost all been replaced since construction so there are varying openers throughout. With that said, my neighbor opened her and my doors at the same time and then closed them right in front of my eyes a little while back. Yesterday, another neighbor called me to tell me my door was open in the middle of the day and there was my Olds just out there in the open. Mind you, this was not the same door as the last time it happened so it's not limited to the one opener.
Old October 30th, 2013, 02:16 PM
MOTORHEAD

chamberlain makes a conversion kit to make older openers use rolling code. 955D kit

i can get one shipped to your door for 25dollars to lower 48
slightly more to canada

http://www.lowes.com/pd_243495-38782...in_955D-_-955d
Old October 30th, 2013, 02:25 PM
MOTORHEAD

garage door breakin

a coat hanger is all thieves need to open most garage doors with openers
check out this video

Old October 30th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Well isn't that special.
Old October 30th, 2013, 03:24 PM
MOTORHEAD

an aye , i mean eye , opener

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Well isn't that special.
Old October 30th, 2013, 03:31 PM
same but different

That's the scary part Even if the time of year doesn't do it for ya, that will.