Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

71 Olds - problem with driver's side door

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2013, 02:35 PM

Unhappy 71 Olds - problem with driver's side door

Hi everyone. I need some help on this. I have a 71 Olds Cutlass Convertible. The driver's side door is giving me fits. When I close it, unless I really slam it hard. The door kind of "falls away" (slightly down and outwards) about a quarter of an inch. I'm not sure what the real problem is. If I slam the door hard, it stays closed properly. Door latch slipping? Or, perhaps it has some "play" or slop in it? Not really sure. The door doesn't appear to be out of alignment in any way. Thought? Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0138.jpg (54.9 KB, 17 views)
Old August 30th, 2013, 02:51 PM

Check the latch on the door and make sure that it latches without binding. It could be that when the car got painted the striker was moved/adjusted (happened to me). Maybe you can take a few pics of that area so we can see what's going on.
Old August 30th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Or the hinges are out of alignment.
Old August 30th, 2013, 04:45 PM
New 2 Olds

Open the door and lift up on it. If there's play and you can lift it up on the hinges, the pins are worn. Someone else can give you tips on how to redo those. In the meantime you might be able to adjust the striker, but you have to be very careful as I've heard of the door getting stuck closed!
Old August 31st, 2013, 08:57 AM

re: problem with driver's side door

I gave the situation a closer look and I think the door needs to be adjusted. As you can see by looking at the image, the door is sagging / or angled downward slightly. I think I need to fix this and then see if the problem goes away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
door.jpg (69.5 KB, 41 views)
Old August 31st, 2013, 11:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rmsikorski66
I gave the situation a closer look and I think the door needs to be adjusted. As you can see by looking at the image, the door is sagging / or angled downward slightly. I think I need to fix this and then see if the problem goes away.
You have two problems. First, your hinges are worn. Second, due to the worn hinges, I'm guessing your striker bolt is worn also. Step one is to replace the hinges (or at least the bushings and pins). Step two is to remove the striker bolt and align the hinges properly. Step three is to install and adjust a new striker bolt.
Old August 31st, 2013, 12:55 PM
jfb

get the originals rebuilt the aftermarket ones sold are a nightmare to work with! I usually with a jack and wood can adjust a door but not those aftermarkets! I had a buddy with as much time as me in the trade give me a hand and it took reaaaal time to adjust them. they are made poorly wherever there made. use the virgin marks made ,for when you put back in the rebuilt originals buddy. I would also do a lot of homework on the aftermarkets being built now! if you want to go this route things could have changed in the last 7 years.
Old November 12th, 2013, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
You have two problems. First, your hinges are worn. Second, due to the worn hinges, I'm guessing your striker bolt is worn also. Step one is to replace the hinges (or at least the bushings and pins). Step two is to remove the striker bolt and align the hinges properly. Step three is to install and adjust a new striker bolt.

Ditto. He nailed it