Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

70 -72 Repro trunk lids

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2013, 11:54 AM

70 -72 Repro trunk lids

Does anybody have experience with the repro trunk lids? It's for my 71 442. My bodyman says the original has been sloppily patched and perhaps a repro would be more cost effective. Is fit good? Who makes them?

Of course shipping is always an issue.
Old February 21st, 2013, 03:39 PM

I bought one from Parts Place. It fits perfectly. The only issue I had was how the lock fit into the hole. I had to modify it slightly so the lock would sit straight in the hole.

I also forgot there was a slight bend in the bottom left corner. I had to pull it out enough to match the body lines on the car. Although, that could have happened while being shipped.

The outer skin on my trunk lid was in very good shape. It was the inner frame that was letting go around where the lock sits.
Old February 21st, 2013, 03:55 PM

Hey there fellower Nova Scotian. Thanks for the reply.
Do you remember approx. how much shipping cost you? Did you have to pay brokerage fees?
Nice looking 442, and a very good year.
Old February 21st, 2013, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketbrian
Hey there fellower Nova Scotian. Thanks for the reply.
Do you remember approx. how much shipping cost you? Did you have to pay brokerage fees?
Nice looking 442, and a very good year.
Ha! I didn't notice you were from N.S., too.

Yeah...I had to pay brokerage fees. I bought the trunk lid, the rear wing, the W30 emblems, the hood locks and the stripe stencils. I got a deal through the place I work. It would have cost me $138 but because my workplace deals with this stuff all the time, the brokerage fee was $94. I think the brokerage was because of the trunk lid? I think everything else could have been shipped through USPS?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the shipping from Parts Place was a little over $200. But, like I said, I got other things beside the trunk lid. If you email Parts Place, they will tell you how much the shipping is after you give them a shipping address. That's what they did for me. And they'll give you a better deal on the shipping if it's shipped to a business. I got mine shipped to my home and it cost an extra $50.
Old February 21st, 2013, 06:07 PM

By the way......have you ever heard of a guy in Fall River named Don Hirtle? He has tons of Oldsmobile parts. That's where I got my bumpers and he hooked me up with the ram air hood. He has ads on Kijiji selling Oldsmobile parts. I'd be willing to bet he would have a decent trunk lid.
Old February 21st, 2013, 06:42 PM

Thanks for the info, I'd like to see your car someday. Where are you located?
I do know Don very well and I was thinking of calling him. It would be great if he had one, as you know, shipping costs on a large bulky part can add so much to the overall cost.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 04:39 PM

I'm in Weymouth, in Digby County. About 3 hours from Halifax.
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:01 PM

Your car wouldn't happen to be yellow or Saturn Gold (I think that's what it's called?) would it?

I noticed an ad on Kijiji today and the guy was looking for a trunk lid for a 71 Olds.
Old February 24th, 2013, 06:54 PM

Yes, that is my ad and it is Saturn Gold. I was at the body shop today and we decided he will fix my existing lid. It was fixed before, but this guy is a magician with metal work, and it wasn't as bad as I had thought. He was giving me the chance to find a good lid, if possible or repair what I have.
It's going to be a slow restoration as he is fitting in my body panels when he has down days. The bodyshell won't make it there until the fall, as there is a waiting list.
Old February 24th, 2013, 07:03 PM
trucker442

I had good luck with a deck lid from thorntons in quakertown, pa.
Old February 25th, 2013, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketbrian
Yes, that is my ad and it is Saturn Gold. I was at the body shop today and we decided he will fix my existing lid. It was fixed before, but this guy is a magician with metal work, and it wasn't as bad as I had thought. He was giving me the chance to find a good lid, if possible or repair what I have.
It's going to be a slow restoration as he is fitting in my body panels when he has down days. The bodyshell won't make it there until the fall, as there is a waiting list.
It's too bad I drilled holes in my old trunk lid for the rear wing. The outter skin was perfect. The only problem was the inner frame was rusting out where the trunk latch was bolting on.

I've never seen that before. Usually, the lip around the trunk lid rots out. Mine is perfect.