Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

69 442 - Hood Hinges

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2021, 02:23 AM

69 442 - Hood Hinges

Surprisingly ran into another issue.

As I am installing the hood hinges I realized that the driver side fender doesn't have nuts for the screws thru the hinges..
(see pics below) I ended up putting the bolt on reverse with washers but now I can't close the hood.

Than I realized that the hood is missing the inner nut for the bolt thru the top part of the hinge.
(See pics below)

Not sure if anyone has ran into this problem before. Not sure what to do. Any help or recommendations is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old November 17th, 2021, 06:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Your fender appears to be a 1968 fender. Are the holes for the hinges punched or drilled in the fender? Someone may have modified the early fender to fit. Later service replacement fenders came with provisions for mounting both 68 and 69 hinges.
Old November 17th, 2021, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Your fender appears to be a 1968 fender. Are the holes for the hinges punched or drilled in the fender? Someone may have modified the early fender to fit. Later service replacement fenders came with provisions for mounting both 68 and 69 hinges.
Yea the fender is def not for a 442 because the '442' emblems dont fit the holes on the side. But it could be from a 68 too. The hinge holes don't look or feel like they were drilled. Seemed machine punched and it lined up pretty good with the hinge holes. It just doesn't have the nut to screw in on the other side smh.

As for the hood portion, any advice on? Seems like a such a small thing to go get a whole new hood. Am I going to have to cut into it or switch it out from another hood?
Old November 17th, 2021, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by arruv89
As for the hood portion, any advice on? Seems like a such a small thing to go get a whole new hood. Am I going to have to cut into it or switch it out from another hood?
If the hood hinge steps in the back like the 68 hinge I'd weld a flange nut to the underside of the hood. One of my cage nuts was stripped on my 68 hood and I threaded a metric bolt into it but it appears yours is missing completely

Typical flange nut:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-5-1...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old November 18th, 2021, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
If the hood hinge steps in the back like the 68 hinge I'd weld a flange nut to the underside of the hood. One of my cage nuts was stripped on my 68 hood and I threaded a metric bolt into it but it appears yours is missing completely

Typical flange nut:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-5-1...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
thanks for the advice! Really appreciate it! Going to get a couple things n see what might work best. A friend recommended I look into self-clinching nuts, pem nuts, and rivet nuts as a fix.

Will keep you all updated.

Thanks again!