Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

67 Cutlass 442 Front Fender Extension "Gasket"

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2022, 11:40 AM

67 Cutlass 442 Front Fender Extension "Gasket"

OK, so I discovered that 1966 front fender extensions do not fit with the 1967 body. . . the hard way. Made an emergency trip to Richard's Salvage to keep the body shop working. Removed three front fender extensions (with the chrome "eye brow") and found pieces of cardboard in two of them. I have the cardboard "gaskets" to replace, but body guy says anything that comes close to "showing" will get feathered with final buffing.

The questions then are, should we use the cardboard or just leave it out? Are the extensions painted on or off the car? What did the factory do? If painted separately, do you then paint the edge of the "gasket" before installing?

Oh, and fortunately, two of the three extensions will make a proper pair. . . .

Thanks for advice!
Old April 7th, 2022, 11:52 AM

I believe the factory painted the caps then bolted them on after the fender was painted. All gaskets I have seen did not have a color on them/overspray. They were there most likely to avoid a squeak and possible rubbing from vibration that could cause paint loss and rust eventually. They tend to sit back from the fender edge so a buffer would tend to miss them.
Old April 7th, 2022, 02:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I believe the factory painted the caps then bolted them on after the fender was painted.
^^^THIS! If the body shop thinks they get installed prior to painting, find a new paint shop.
Old April 7th, 2022, 06:57 PM

Thanks, Maniac, we had pretty much come to that conclusion, but confirmation is much appreciated. I'm afraid that we're too far along for a new body shop, Joe. But he had recommended painting separately and I wasn't sure. I think we're good, but I like hearing from the experts.