Glass Setting Tape to re-attach molding to quarter window?

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2009, 03:37 PM

Question Glass Setting Tape to re-attach molding to quarter window?

I'm in the process of re-attaching chrome molding to the quarter window on my convertible and at a cross road as to the right product to use.

The Fisher Body manual mentions using either a "medium-bodied sealer or body caulking compound .... to provide either a watertight seal or for anti-rattle measures". What 'off the shelf' sealer has anyone used with lasting results? I have Weatherstrip adhesive, but i dont' think it's the same thing.

In another forum thread (https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...m-removed.html) a process was outlined by Doug69Cutlass where glass setting tape is installed on the edge of the glass and then the trim channel is pressed over it. Anyone else use this with success? And if so, what thickness of tape was applied? Thanks in advance.
Old November 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM

My limited experience with this was on the front vent window on my 66 Delta. It was suggested I use black silicone and when it dried you trim and scrape it off the glass where it oozed....Result was ok, pretty good actually, but on real close inspection it did not look factory. I used the glass setting tape on the rear quarter window. It is rather tough to hammer/press the glass and chrome together with the tape on the glass. I was successful but it was hairy. I think you would use pretty thin tape. I believe there is a special tool for this process and perhaps a (friendly) old glass shop or trim shop may have one that you could use are let them put the molding on for you.
Old November 20th, 2009, 02:17 AM

I just read somewhere that you are supposed to oil the channel before you put the tape in and the oil helps to set the tape after because it causes it to swell...
Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the info guys. I just ordered some 3/64 thickness tape. Hopefully, the fit will be snug and not loose or too tight.