Wrong Quarter skin?

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2022, 03:20 PM

Wrong Quarter skin?

Looking for some information from the Olds body experts- I bought a 3/4 quarter skin about 15 years ago, and I never used it. So I am finally ready to do the body work and get her back on the road- 69 Cutlass S convertible.- As I started playing with the fitment of the quarter I noticed a big difference in the back and rear bottom of the quarter. I was wondering what this quarter skin actually goes to, as the trunk floor extension misses it by about 3 inches. Don't mind the footprints- its been sitting in my barn for 15 years. It still had the sticker on it- so I looked it up online and it says it fits a 69 cutlass.

This is the new(er) skin- notice the drop out

other side of car - original quarter
Old March 28th, 2022, 05:25 AM

You have the right ones

Not sure where you sourced your quarters but I put the repo quarters on my 69 vert, yes you have to trim by the rear for the bumper, your wheel well doesn’t look correct to me I’m no expert but it looks like it was trimmed ? Like someone maybe fixed a rust issue by making it sweep back s but more?

I notice that the wheel well moldings are not on the car, so I can not see if the curve you are showing is the same

they don’t make a vert quarter so you need to adapt the quarter, I butt welded mine along the molding mounting holes and just in front of door jamb, it actually fit pretty good I also seamed it above the rocker ,

how I did it is in my build thread but if you look at these pics your wheel well might have been trimmed a little?

Guys who know more will chime in but your quarter looks just like the one I put on mine had edp coating

Old April 3rd, 2022, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
Not sure where you sourced your quarters but I put the repo quarters on my 69 vert, yes you have to trim by the rear for the bumper, your wheel well doesn’t look correct to me I’m no expert but it looks like it was trimmed ? Like someone maybe fixed a rust issue by making it sweep back s but more?

I notice that the wheel well moldings are not on the car, so I can not see if the curve you are showing is the same

they don’t make a vert quarter so you need to adapt the quarter, I butt welded mine along the molding mounting holes and just in front of door jamb, it actually fit pretty good I also seamed it above the rocker ,

how I did it is in my build thread but if you look at these pics your wheel well might have been trimmed a little?

Guys who know more will chime in but your quarter looks just like the one I put on mine had edp coating

Thanks Ed,

I'll have to study your build thread. What about the part on the rear of the panel that sticks out the back- You can't see the area once the bumper is on. It seems that the new quarter is missing that 2 inch or so flange. Do I have to fab that piece?
Old April 3rd, 2022, 01:58 PM
Old(s) Fart

The aftermarket partial quarters are complete crap. To minimize tooling costs (and thus maximize profits), this one stamping is supposed to be used on 68s and 69s, on both coupes and convertibles. Obviously the factory panels for those applications are all completely different. Unfortunately, short of finding good OEM quarters from a desert car, the Chinesium repros are your only option.