Windshield moulding 72 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2019, 08:54 PM

Windshield moulding 72 cutlass

Anyone have experience replacing a windshield on the 70-72 Cutlass convertible? Looks tricky - lots of rubber around the glass...

But also, the chrome moldings have pulled away from the windshield, esp. on passenger side and there does not seem to be an obvious indication of how those moldings are attached/secured.

recently getting water in passenger side when it rains - this chrome molding being separated from the windshield seems to be the source. No other clues, carpet is only damp near door and in front of kick panel, not foot well or under the seat...

Any other thoughts on how water may be getting in? Will the most glass companies know how to install a new windshield?

Thx, Kevin
Old June 11th, 2019, 09:06 PM

The trim shoulnd't have anything to do with sealing - that is accomplished with the seal between the glass and the metal around the perimeter of the windshield.

And yes, the windshield replacement companies should be completely capable of this job. I had the windshield in my convertible replaced in my driveway many years ago with no issues at all.
Old June 12th, 2019, 04:20 AM

Just curious, have you looked closely at the moisture on the carpet.....the passenger side is where the heater core is located. A leaky heater core could be the source of the moisture
Old June 12th, 2019, 07:00 AM

good thought Dave, but, the moisture only occurs during heavy rain, so pretty confident it's a leak somewhere.
Old June 12th, 2019, 07:02 AM

I figured as much Kenneth — I realize the molding is cosmetic, but since that molding is so far separated from the glass, I thought the exposure to elements might somehow contribute to the problem.

Either way, I've got a glass company coming out to inspect. I will keep you posted. Truly hoping they find the source of the leak because its killing me.... slowly
Old June 12th, 2019, 07:42 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Maybe a long shot since I don't know the condition of your cowl area, but check and see if there's rust perforation under the trim at the bottom.

One way for sure to see if it's leaking from the top of the windshield - put the top up and sit in the car while someone sprays water on the passenger side front. The leak should be obvious in relatively short time.
Old June 24th, 2019, 04:07 PM

Replacement windshield 72 cutlass convertible

For any interested parties = it turns out the seal around the glass simply wore out. This is the original glass so not too surprising.... The only question is what it will look like underneath. Keeping my fingers crossed that it is not swish cheese! But, does anyone feel it is important to retain the original glass? Apparently it can be refurbished, and I was considering that for future owner or for sale ? Otherwise any recommendations on the manufacturer for the replacement windshield?