Vinyl top

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2021, 11:01 AM

Vinyl top

Im wanting to know if I can save my vinyl top. The top is in excellent condition but I seem to have some rust in some areas by the back window. My question is could I reuse the same vinyl top if I'm able to take it off without harming it?
Old January 21st, 2021, 11:48 AM

Maybe, it's hard to say until you peel it back. Often times small pieces of rust bubbles stick to the vinyl glue. Then when you glue it back, there are bumps. Even if it comes off without bumps, there will be tiny rusted particles stuck on it. You can't clean them off. A black top, if you're tight for $ and goes well it could last a while with a used top...maybe!
Old January 21st, 2021, 12:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

There's rust because the vinyl has become porous. Replace it (or better yet, delete it).
Old January 21st, 2021, 12:04 PM

Thanks

Just was wondering if anyone had ever reused there tops before. Going to be alittle while before I mess with it, just getting some info on it
Old January 21st, 2021, 02:48 PM

I am currently building a 71 clone daily driver. The cheapest top I could find was this one for $150.00 :
https://www.oldsparts.com/product/vinyl-top-black/
The only problem is that it was not the right shape. Other tops I have put on have seams for the A-pillars and the rough outline of the C-pillars. This was just one big rectangle with two pressed seams. It was not long enough to go to the front and rear of the pillars. I ended up making my own seams at the top of the A-pillars and using some of the excess material from the sides. As I said it will be a daily driver so it is good enough for me.

Here is a shot of the A-pillar seam

Last edited by Loaded68W34; January 21st, 2021 at 02:51 PM.
Old January 21st, 2021, 02:56 PM

That sure is a nice rear quarter panel. Mine both need some work. Wonder what the process of just deleting the vinyl altogether would be. Guess only time will tell. Gonna pull the motor again and try to figure out some weird noise that keeps rattling. And actually figure out what all parts were put in the motor.
Old January 21st, 2021, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by deathvader
That sure is a nice rear quarter panel. Mine both need some work. Wonder what the process of just deleting the vinyl altogether would be. Guess only time will tell. Gonna pull the motor again and try to figure out some weird noise that keeps rattling. And actually figure out what all parts were put in the motor.
Yea, don't let the photos deceive you. This car came free with my 72 vista cruiser. It is actually a 72 as well, but I like the 71 tail lights better. Who ever was working on the car before I got it was a "master fiberglass sculptor" as in the rear wheel wells and drop offs. However, it has been sitting outside since 2014 and has held up well so far. We will see how it does with vibration once I start driving it. I am actually doing a "Faux-tina" finish on it. I miss not having a driver since I finished my wagon, so I decided it was time to get this one on the road. Here is what it looked like the week before Christmas.

As to shaving the top, Other than rust, the studs for the quarter moldings will probably be your biggest problem. The quarters can warp a fair bit from where they were spot welded on at the factory. Also, the factory did not finish off the leaded seams in the roof as well on vinyl top cars so that may take some also.
Old January 21st, 2021, 03:42 PM

i pulled my vinyl as i had some rust issues,i painted the top,and i really like the looks of it.AND i can always go back vinyl if i want to.
Old January 21st, 2021, 03:51 PM

Yeah thats an ideal. I really like the look of the vinyl on this car. I wish someone wouldn't have left it outside or something. Or would have fixed the rust before putting the vinyl top back on.
Old January 22nd, 2021, 05:35 AM

Be aware that there may have been more than one vinyl top available on your car. I bought trim to put a vinyl top on my 98 and found that there was a factory vinyl top and dealer vinyl top installed in 71.

FWIW, I don't think it would be feasible to reuse a vinyl top. Once it's removed the glue left on the bottom would destroy the vinyl and the only way to prep the car again for a vinyl top would be to remove he whole thing.