To Vinyl or not?

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2012, 06:37 AM

To Vinyl or not?

I am thinking about installing a black halo vinyl top on my 70 Supreme to give it some color contrast. Thing is I it doesnt have one now and not sure if it ever did. How much pain would it be to to install it peoperly and what steps are needed given these facts. Thanks and I appreciate all of your help in advance.
Old March 24th, 2012, 08:54 AM

Coincidently I am doing the same thing to my Supreme. I think the Supremes look odd without them. Mine was removed by a previous owner as well. I was fortunate enough to find the build sheet that showed the original top on the car. But the real clue was the two holes on the back quarter that had been filled that are used for the corner piece of molding. Take a look at a Supreme with the molding on, then look inside the trunk and you should see the same holes. Maybe filled with putty or welded. I haven't done it yet but it doesn't look that tuff. First you need a good set of molding, which are not remanufactured (except corner piece). Most of the pieces are attached via weld studs and plastic clips that are still readily available (fusicks). Not 100% sure about the halo top because mine is a 72. You can see the hole here in my photo. Good Luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
006.jpg (25.1 KB, 45 views)
Old March 24th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Lansing built

vinyl

In my opinion vinyl looks good on some cars like 98/88 and cutlass supremes only, but you are correct about contrast I like the black one on my 70 Supreme.

You will have to track down halo mouldings either 70 or 71, and then layout and drill accordingly for the retainers. If you need dimensions just PM me.

Regards, Pat
Attached Images
image7[1].jpg (53.7 KB, 39 views)
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:54 AM

I just added one to my 66 Cutlass. I love the contrast in color against the Burgundy Mist paint and those C pillars look so good!

GG
Old March 29th, 2012, 11:05 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by hinz57
Coincidently I am doing the same thing to my Supreme. I think the Supremes look odd without them. Mine was removed by a previous owner as well. I was fortunate enough to find the build sheet that showed the original top on the car. But the real clue was the two holes on the back quarter that had been filled that are used for the corner piece of molding. Take a look at a Supreme with the molding on, then look inside the trunk and you should see the same holes. Maybe filled with putty or welded. I haven't done it yet but it doesn't look that tuff. First you need a good set of molding, which are not remanufactured (except corner piece). Most of the pieces are attached via weld studs and plastic clips that are still readily available (fusicks). Not 100% sure about the halo top because mine is a 72. You can see the hole here in my photo. Good Luck.
crap , I was going to take mine off for good , but you say they look strange with out them ? by any chance do you have a photo of the whole car without the vinyl to show me ? It looks like the pic you have don't look to bad.
Old March 29th, 2012, 11:27 AM

I will be removing the rust magnet from the top of mine. The sun and low humidity in southern California is not kind to plastics. Causes them to dry out and crack revealing all the rust spots under my white vinyl top. Just my thoughts.
Old March 29th, 2012, 12:31 PM
MOTORHEAD

I have always like the painted roof contrast color cars. They have the trim like a vinyl top car but instead painted. Often white or black like this one

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ale-price.html
Attached Images
roof.jpg (73.9 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by 11971four4two; March 29th, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old March 30th, 2012, 06:55 AM

I agree. I think a vinyl top sets off most colors on the A-Body cars. The only consideration is maintenance. These cars are famous for rust in the rear window channel and around the trim when vinyl is there. If this car is going to be outside or a daily driver you may want to leave it off.

My Chevelle is garage kept and does not see rain. Just to be safe, I wash it up to the vinyl and then use an air hose to clear any water from the edges. The top itself gets hand cleaned. Yea its a PITA but for me the vinyl makes the car.
Old March 30th, 2012, 07:06 AM

As far as installing it if there isn't one...

The straight lengths of trim attached to weld studs from the factory. They make replacement studs that screw in but they are only an option inside of window channels. The screw stretches the metal on open sheet metal and will dimple it (don't ask me how I know).

The best option is to get a set of trim, mock it up on the car and lay down tape on both sides. If you can locate a junk set of pot metal pieces, you can cut the studs off so it lays flat on the car. Once the tape is down, remove the trim. Centered between the two stips of tape is where you will drill the holes. The pot metal pieces will require holes for the studs. You can probably get photo's from someone in the middle of a resto. For the long strips, I used 1/8 pop rivets. Drill a 1/8" hole, dip the head in silicone and rivet the plastic clips in place. The chrome will snap on. Obviously drilling all these holes in your quarters would make anyone nervous. Lots of research, photos and measure 3 or 4 times.
Old April 9th, 2012, 05:18 PM

im taking mine off

mine is a light blue with white vynal top. i will be taking mine off. the white sets the car off...looks awesome but impossible to keep clean even when parked in my garage. the rain is also a huge factor. my plan is to paint the top not quite the same but it will at least be that nice bright white for a long time. if you do go for the vynal i cannot stress enogh that you need to do your home work on the company you use. find someone who has been doing it for years and is a pro. this job is easy to screw up and the slightest thing wrong will drive you nuts every time you look at it.
Old April 9th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

rust blanket gone...

Saved this roof from the vinyl demon I agree, i like the contrast with these cars,but i do not know if vinyl is the way to go. I kept all the trim for the vinyl roof, but I will not be putting another one on.
Attached Images
vinyl roof 004.jpg (43.0 KB, 36 views)
Old April 9th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I like vinyl. If it's done right it will last a long time and not rust. Beats the crap out of putting rhino truck bed liner on the top for that 'added texture' look.
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Originally Posted by Allan R
I like vinyl. If it's done right it will last a long time and not rust. Beats the crap out of putting rhino truck bed liner on the top for that 'added texture' look.
What is rhino truck bed liner?-sounds like a mattress-
Old April 9th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It's a thick tar like substance that's sprayed into truck bed liners to protect them from scuffs and rust. About 1/4" thick and comes in whatever color you want. Popular choice is black. Go figure huh? Kind of like undercoating for truck beds.
Old April 9th, 2012, 09:30 PM

If you want something that will last forever, I'd do the rhino lining.
VERY simple, ALOT cheaper, and a HELL of alot more durable.
It's used in truck beds for a reason, because it can stand up to abuse and still look great.

I wouldn't do vinyl. Like others have said, I've seen way more people get rid of the vinyl tops ,
then go actively seeking them. They're a real PITA to maintain unless it's a garage queen.

That's even assuming you get it installed by a professional who really knows what they're doing.
I'd do Rhino lining in a HEARTBEAT vs Vinyl.

Here's a Toyota FJ cruiser with it used on it's body panels, not the bumpers, just the middle.
IMG_3149.jpg

Last edited by Aceshigh; April 9th, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old April 10th, 2012, 09:45 AM

or....

If your car came with a vinyl top & you have all the trim in place then simply paint the car two-tone adding a complimentary color in place of the vinyl. The two-tone accent looks very nice on the 70-72 Cutlass Supreme body style.
Old April 10th, 2012, 05:57 PM

My brother-in-law had a 70 Chevelle that was two tone now that I think about it. Light blue with an off-white top. The colors were separated by the vinyl trim. It was actually a very classy look. You rarely saw this as an option on the Chevelle. Was it an option on the Cutlass?

I can't imagine I would like bed liner on a classic. A truck, a modern vehicle... maybe... but not a Cutlass.
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Check out defiant1 Cutlass- has a Porcelain white top(code 10) with the car being Astro Blue(code 25). I think it looks sharp, without the hassle of the vinyl.
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:19 PM

I know up to 65, the 2-tone was divided by the same trim as the vinyl top, and looked good on some combinations!
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:20 PM

Defiant1's car is about the same color as the Chevelle. Its a good clean look.
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:10 PM
car guy

Depends on the car on a vinyl top but a Rhino liner is a terrible idea. Have you ever seen what a truck bed looks like with this stuff after 3-4 years in the sun. Its faded and ugly. Thats fine for in the inside of a truck bed but terrible for an old muscle car.
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:52 PM

I like the painted top idea, seen a few Cutlii like that - they look great