Touch up advice

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2019, 02:30 PM
Runner

Touch up advice

My 72 W30 got repainted prior to my ownership and it wasn't a a great job. Over spray, cracks, etc, but was still a good looking 20ft car. My priority is the mechanics of it and it has always run really well. I did however have to take it to a shop to get some front end work and unfortunately it had to sit outside for a while where it of course pour on those days. I noticed a crack in the paint turned into a full blown chipped off on the hood. Additionally, there was very slight pockets chipping off now too. I definitely don't have the budget now (and even soon) for a full blow repaint so I was wondering if there was advice for a "bandaid" that would at least add protection on the exposed section and prevent it from chipping more. Thanks

Old May 19th, 2019, 02:41 PM
Administrator

That's going to have to go to a body shop. You can try to match the color and touch up that spot but it will really be noticeable.
Old May 19th, 2019, 02:49 PM

Yeah, that's lifting paint. Snap off what is coming up, then put some ding filler to match, but it's not good. I have a hood like that on my Chevy.
Old May 19th, 2019, 03:04 PM

See if a body shop will do a touch up for you or set you up w/ a tiny amount of single stage paint (1-2 oz) & hardener (catalyst). Chip off loose edges & dab (don’t stroke) the catalyzed paint into the chip, smoother is better, stay in the border & try to get it roughly level w/ depth of chip. It will homogenize & sort of self level. I don’t think you’ll be able to do any more than that without the risk of chasing a growing area of trouble.