Remote mirror adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2010, 03:15 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

Remote mirror adjustment?

While my Cutlass has been down waiting for my new rebuilt qudrajet I have been doing interior work. All is going well. Before I put on my new door panals I got into cleaning up the bullet style mirrors that were on the car when I bought it. I took the driver side remote mirror off to try and find out why it will not turn the mirror to the left and right. Up and down works perfectly though. It seems like there is some slack in the cables that are keeping it from pushing and pulling to the left and right. Is there a way you can adjust them to fix this? I looked on some of the parts sites to try and find the style that I have, but couldn't find them. The "remote" itself is a white(yellowed) plastic dogleg looking thing that has a sliding plastic block at the bottom that interacts with a spring in the center of the plastic housing. I am unsure what year car these are supposed to be on, but I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't stock. I will try and get some pictures of what I am talking about if that would make anything clearer.
Old April 10th, 2010, 05:14 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

Ok finally I got some pictures of the mirror I was talking about. I still haven't found anything on the internet that looks like the remote that is on here. Anyone have any ideas?? I would really like to get this working properly. Its no big deal if it is "broken" and only adjusts up and down. I won't let anyone else touch this car non the less drive it, so I wouldn't have to screw with the mirrors much....but still...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0618.jpg (59.4 KB, 35 views)
IMG_0619.jpg (61.4 KB, 31 views)
IMG_0620.jpg (85.1 KB, 30 views)
IMG_0621.jpg (106.9 KB, 35 views)
Old April 10th, 2010, 07:28 PM

If the cables in the plastic thingie move with the joystick, then the problem is bound to be in the mirror head. From the pictures, the plastic still looks okay and cables are attached.
Old April 10th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

??? What kind of car did you get this from??? It is not a stock 72 Cutlass remote control head.

I agree with Rob that the problem is in the mirror head. Try pushing the mirror in on one side and see if the cable will pull it back into place. Then try the other side using the same procedure. The connections on the side to side may be broken, or have come out of the retainers. The mirror should be able to come apart from the pedestal to the head for verification and repair.

The correct mirror cable and mirrors can be bought on the web, or new from Fusicks. Do you have a picture of the door escutcheon that was on the car? Something about this assembly just doesn't look right. Is it maybe from a Poncho or Chebby?

The escutcheon and remote **** for Cutlass didn't change from 1970 to 1972. They should look like the one on this door

2008_0314MILLER0019.jpg?t=1270954780
Old April 10th, 2010, 08:20 PM

This might be some not so good news. From the photo, I believe the mirror housing is not correct for your 72 Cutlass either.
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:57 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

Yeah I assumed that these were not stock for a 1972 Cutlass. They fit real nice though! To answer your questions, the remote was never even mounted to the door, the cable was just coiled up in the door itself. I didn't even realize it was a remote operated until I removed the door panel. As for the operation, when I move the peg left and right, one cable pulls, while the other looks like it wants to push, but lifts off the face of the plastic instead, like it is stuck. When I do the test of actually pushing the mirror itself, the cables seem to move the way they should....push one, pull one. Oh well...these things are they least of my worries. They fit well and look enough like the stockers that once painted, they should be pretty sweet. I saw that you can buy some originals or repos pretty easily, but these are the last thing I need to spend money on....unless someone wants to gift me a pair? Anyone?
Old April 11th, 2010, 06:15 AM

Will the mirror housing come apart? I have never tried to take one apart, but perhaps it can be done without breaking anything. The root of the problem should be in the head.
If you fix it, can the remote be rigged up to fit the door?