Help! 1970 W-30 OEM Gold Stripes Paint

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2024, 01:41 AM

Help! 1970 W-30 OEM Gold Stripes Paint

Help! 1970 442 W-30 OEM Gold Stripes Paint

Can anyone help with color match info for 1970 442 W-30 Gold Stripes? Years ago, my stripes were sprayed the incorrect color (Nugget Gold) and I want to make it right.

I know this much:
  • The PPG color code is: 23197. PPG no longer has the mix formula.
  • The WSA Code is 3918
  • The DuPont number is 898-99617. DuPont no longer has the mix formula.
A spray card sample or color mix formula info would be greatly appreciated.

I want to get as close as possible to the correct color.
Thank you in advance
Old May 14th, 2024, 01:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

TCP Global can mix to those formulas in lacquer, urethane, or BC/CC.

Old May 14th, 2024, 05:21 AM

for Chevrolet GOLD WSA3918 Single Stage | eBay

They sell it in spray cans, so SOMEONE must have the formulation. However, no idea about quality or color match. Maybe contact them about getting a mix formulation for a pint to do the stripes?
Old May 14th, 2024, 09:32 PM

Thanks Joe, I'm going to contact TCP
Old May 14th, 2024, 09:33 PM

Thanks 69HO43, I ordered a can today to see how it looks
Old May 18th, 2024, 09:03 PM

Oh for two now.

1) I ordered a spray can of GOLD WSA3918 base coat from Color My Auto (on Walmart website). Not even close. It’s not even gold in color, much less the 1970 Oldsmobile WSA3918 Gold Stripe color.

2) I ordered a spray can of GOLD WSA3918 from Paint My Ride (on ebay). Color is not close, but at least it’s gold. It’s a metallic paint, so that’s wrong too. I think all 1970 Oldsmobile stripes were non-metallic paint. I know for sure that the Gold was a non-metallic

On Monday I’m going to give TCP Global a try. If that doesn’t work out, then I’m back to square one.

Here’s a spray out of the Color My Auto GOLD WSA3918 I ordered:

Here’s a spray out of the Paint My Ride GOLD WSA3918 I ordered:

Hopefully someone here has an original 1970 Gold stripe car with matching paint formula and can help me out.

Last edited by w30brad; May 28th, 2024 at 09:50 PM.
Old May 19th, 2024, 05:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Stripes were not metallic.
Old May 19th, 2024, 06:29 AM
Shoveling Snow

The color is more of a tan.

Old May 19th, 2024, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hairy Olds
The color is more of a tan.
Yes, it'd definitely a tannish gold. Do you happen to have original an gold stripe color match sample or paint mix info? Thanks
Old May 20th, 2024, 04:10 AM

What ever happened to those paint scanner things that some of the higher end paint supply shops had where you could have them scan the paint and it spits out a formula for matching the color? If someone had a car with original stripes, it's a possibility. I had them do it to some H/O gold on an original paint trunklid and it didn't turn out too terrible. The only issue is it will take into account for weathering and fading, etc., so it may not be a super-exact match to factory.
Old May 20th, 2024, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by 69HO43
What ever happened to those paint scanner things that some of the higher end paint supply shops had where you could have them scan the paint and it spits out a formula for matching the color? If someone had a car with original stripes, it's a possibility. I had them do it to some H/O gold on an original paint trunklid and it didn't turn out too terrible. The only issue is it will take into account for weathering and fading, etc., so it may not be a super-exact match to factory.
I would like to do it that way, but I don't know anyone who has an original (or correctly repainted) gold stripe car. If anyone knows someone who knows someone...
Old May 28th, 2024, 03:15 PM

I heard back from TCP Global today and they do not have a formula available to mix the 1970 Oldsmobile gold stripe paint. My search is now back to the starting line.

I think my only options are to find someone here who:
  • has the paint mix formula
  • will let me borrow a paint swatch / sprayout card so I can get a match made
  • has a correct gold stripe car and is willing to take their car to their local paint dealer to get a color scan
  • has a correct gold stripe car and is planning on attending a car show in 2024 within 300 miles of Reno, NV so I can bring color swatches to match
Anyone here in Olds land who can lend me a hand?

Thanks
Old May 28th, 2024, 05:15 PM

I'm "digging around" here.....don't know if I'll be able to come up w/anything but I have feelers out.
Old May 28th, 2024, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by w30brad
I heard back from TCP Global today and they do not have a formula available to mix the 1970 Oldsmobile gold stripe paint. My search is now back to the starting line.

I think my only options are to find someone here who:
  • has the paint mix formula
  • has a correct gold stripe car and is willing to take their car to their local paint dealer to get a color scan
  • has a correct gold stripe car and is planning on attending a car show in 2024 within 300 miles of Reno, NV so I can bring color swatches to match
Anyone here in Olds land who can lend me a hand?

Thanks
Go to a paint supplier that knows whats going on. Working on a PPG page to post. PPG code G, H. #23197
Let me work on the scanner and post a page later. File is to large right now.

Last edited by OLDSter Ralph; May 28th, 2024 at 08:52 PM. Reason: code correction
Old May 28th, 2024, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
Go to a paint supplier that knows whats going on. Working on a PPG page to post. PPG code G, M. #23197
Let me work on the scanner and post a page later. File is to large right now.
Thanks Ralph, I've been the PPG route in depth. I've contacted PPG suppliers and corporate. PPG no longer has a formula for the 23197 Gold. They said it's an old lacquer paint formula and they don't have a matching cross reference in their paint line. They have one that's listed as 'a close match' and I had them mix me a pint and I did a spray out. It's very similar, but it's too dark.
​​​​

Last edited by w30brad; May 28th, 2024 at 08:17 PM.
Old May 28th, 2024, 08:29 PM

"Very similar" to what??? Do you already have a known accurate/correct sample to compare the sprayout card to?

Do you have a talented painter/pain mixer there?? Someone who really knows how to mix and tweak colors?

If you have a formula that is "close" it seems like a talented painter could look at the color, the tints used, volumes, etc and would know what to try changing to get to the color you want.

Last edited by 70Post; May 28th, 2024 at 08:33 PM.
Old May 28th, 2024, 08:50 PM

Thanks Ralph, I've been the PPG route in depth. I've contacted PPG suppliers and corporate. PPG no longer has a formula for the 23197 Gold. They said it's an old lacquer paint formula and they don't have a matching cross reference in their paint line. They have one that's listed as 'a close match' and I had them mix me a pint and I did a spray out. It's very similar, but it's too dark.
​​​​
Brad, If you are trying to match paint that has been exposed to sunlight and elements for years, what you sprayed would look darker. Body shops have always had to play with paint mix to match repairs.
Let me check with my friend who is a good painter. I talked to him earlier tonight about the Gold paint formula. He is fussy about where he gets his paint.
I had my latest "toy" sprayed 1968 Olds Toronado (1968 H/O) Peruvian Silver. I furnished him the Olds code letter. He has also repainted my 1966 Olds Toronado the original "Ocean Mist".
Old May 28th, 2024, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by 70Post
"Very similar" to what??? Do you already have a known accurate/correct sample to compare the sprayout card to?

Do you have a talented painter/pain mixer there?? Someone who really knows how to mix and tweak colors?

If you have a formula that is "close" it seems like a talented painter could look at the color, the tints used, volumes, etc and would know what to try changing to get to the color you want.
Thanks Patton. If I only had a sprayout card of the correct color, my problem would be solved. I would just have the paint shop scan it and make it.

PPG has a Gold that's listed as 'a close match' and I had them mix me a pint and I did a spray out. It's similar (similar to the many photos I've collected of the correct Gold), but it's definitely too dark. This is that sample:

Last edited by w30brad; May 28th, 2024 at 09:51 PM.
Old May 28th, 2024, 09:07 PM

Brad, If you are trying to match paint that has been exposed to sunlight and elements for years, what you sprayed would look darker. Body shops have always had to play with paint mix to match repairs.
Let me check with my friend who is a good painter. I talked to him earlier tonight about the Gold paint formula. He is fussy about where he gets his paint.
I had my latest "toy" sprayed 1968 Olds Toronado (1968 H/O) Peruvian Silver. I furnished him the Olds code letter. He has also repainted my 1966 Olds Toronado the original "Ocean Mist".
Your help is greatly appreciated Ralph, thank you.

Please post a pic of your W-30 if you get a chance!

Here's a shot of mine with the Nugget Gold (ughh...) stripes

Old May 28th, 2024, 10:23 PM

Your help is greatly appreciated Ralph, thank you.

Please post a pic of your W-30 if you get a chance!

Here's a shot of mine with the Nugget Gold (ughh...) stripes

Your Nugget Gold stripes are definitely dark. Did you use BC/CC paint on your car ?
Pictures on the internet are not accurate. "Paint chips" in paint manufacturers book are discolored after all these years.
My W-30 Sport Coupe (post) is in the original Black with Gold stripe paint from the factory. I did have the stripes added to the trunk lid when it was about 3 months old. It has only been outside for a very few years in its life. It has been kept inside for at least the last 40 years. I don't think I ever took colored pictures may years ago. Right now, 2 motorcycles, a sewing machine, a riding mower and miscellaneous blocking it in. I may try to get it out this summer.
Old June 4th, 2024, 08:51 PM

Your Nugget Gold stripes are definitely dark. Did you use BC/CC paint on your car ?
Pictures on the internet are not accurate. "Paint chips" in paint manufacturers book are discolored after all these years.
My W-30 Sport Coupe (post) is in the original Black with Gold stripe paint from the factory. I did have the stripes added to the trunk lid when it was about 3 months old. It has only been outside for a very few years in its life. It has been kept inside for at least the last 40 years. I don't think I ever took colored pictures may years ago. Right now, 2 motorcycles, a sewing machine, a riding mower and miscellaneous blocking it in. I may try to get it out this summer.
Yes, I used BC/CC.

I know I won't find a perfect match on an obsolete paint that was used on stripes on very few cars 54 years ago, but I'd like to get it close. I'm hoping to find an original gold stripe owner who can offer one of these:
  • the paint mix formula
Old June 4th, 2024, 09:59 PM

Brad, you have a PM.