Oilprimed the engine,but cant see it reach heads.

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2015, 09:30 AM

Oilprimed the engine,but cant see it reach heads.

Hello, i have try to prime the engine on the pump with a battery drill, Well its not going so fast but i get Oil up in the hole for Oil pressure gauge in front and i see the Oil pressure in the disturbutor hole,

but cant see it comes out from the small hole in the lifters yet with that speed. Could it be cause the batterydrill goes to slow it not pump enought? The pump is a highpressure pump type.

Thinking to install the starter and crank it on the flywheel instead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_0571.jpg (74.1 KB, 54 views)
DSC_0573.jpg (45.9 KB, 51 views)
Old April 10th, 2015, 09:51 AM
Beer Connoisseur

You definitely need a corded drill, it takes a couple of minutes before the oil gets to the heads. I use my old Bosch drill and had it smoking by the time the oil got to the heads.
Old April 10th, 2015, 10:00 AM

I usually prime the engine with valve covers on. The action of the lifters and rockers while in motion assist greatly in geting oil up to the rockers. As long as rockers were oiled during assembly you should be fine.
Old April 10th, 2015, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsragger
Hello, i have try to prime the engine on the pump with a battery drill, Well its not going so fast but i get Oil up in the hole for Oil pressure gauge in front and i see the Oil pressure in the disturbutor hole,

but cant see it comes out from the small hole in the lifters yet with that speed. Could it be cause the batterydrill goes to slow it not pump enought? The pump is a highpressure pump type.

Thinking to install the starter and crank it on the flywheel instead.
A half inch drill with a cord will spin the pump rod fast enough to bring oil up to pressure allowing engine to be primed with oil.You can do this with a long socket extension and a socket chucked in to the drill chuck. I tape the socket to the socket extension. The socket is a 5/16.
Old April 10th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You are spinning the drill counter clockwise aren't you.
Old April 10th, 2015, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
You are spinning the drill counter clockwise aren't you.
The battery drill doesn't have enough power ask me how i know with a new dewalt!!
Old April 10th, 2015, 12:55 PM

Yes i spin it counter clockwise, i forgot i didnt have the plug in the Oil gauge hole in front in first prime test, it was like a vulcano blowing up Oil, so pressure it is, Well ok i will try a Electric drill next time and see if it will come Oil up then, the batterydrill was almost empty for battery too, lol so it not help so much more. I Just fill the engine with oil so it was a little Oil on the end at the dipstick, i guess its enought to that the oilpump will suck up Oil. When i drill it,it feels a little heavy too..

Well i guess its no problem with the engine then. I turn it around some times too with hand on the crankbolt after have stand still maybe 4-5 yrs Inside a garage, so its hope

Last edited by Oldsragger; April 10th, 2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old April 10th, 2015, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by wr1970
The battery drill doesn't have enough power ask me how i know with a new dewalt!!
Ok, i think i try the Electric 220v Next time
Old April 10th, 2015, 03:39 PM

Also rotate the crank 90 degree every so often, till you get oil. I have never had a problem with olds, but with BB Chevy, it took for ever.
Old April 10th, 2015, 03:49 PM

OK, i guess to get Oil in to all rod/crank bearings? At least i prime it a little before beginning to rotate the crank,and after, i dont know if its so smart to rotate a engine many times on "dry" bearings after engine storage from some years.
Old April 10th, 2015, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsragger
OK, i guess to get Oil in to all rod/crank bearings? At least i prime it a little before beginning to rotate the crank,and after, i dont know if its so smart to rotate a engine many times on "dry" bearings after engine storage from some years.
Don't rotate engine until you have primed the motor with oil. Getting oil pressure to all the bearing is a must on a long standing engine.
Old April 11th, 2015, 04:52 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

You have primed the engine, as Oldsmaniac said, running the engine will see oil to the rockers due to the mechanical action of the lifters much sooner than winding the pump for ages with a drill.
Splash some oil round the valvegear before you first fire the engine up and all should be fine.

Roger.
Old April 11th, 2015, 06:43 AM

Have prime the engine again with my new charged batterydrill,it was enought,i got Oil to the lifters now in both heads, i needed to turn the engine many small times around and prime between untill i have complete 1 turn on crank, so i got Oil out of all lifters, when the engine just stood still and i prime it comes Oil out of only 5 og 8 lifters (on one side) until i turn the engine around a little bit so the 3 lifters left get Oil too.. Anyway, mission complete. now i can take out the new Oil and filter of engine again
Attached Images
DSC_0587.jpg (91.4 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Oldsragger; April 11th, 2015 at 09:06 AM.
Old April 11th, 2015, 04:52 PM

Took of the Oil Pan today after prime the engine, and see it have a sement of microscopic metal in the Oil.. Is this normal after a engine have new parts like piston and rings, and all the bearings in crank,rods,crankshaft? It have been dynotested after rebuild and not much used after...

Just hope its not bad, and can be used without problem with new Oil..
I clean the oilpan after.
Attached Images
DSC_0600.jpg (55.2 KB, 37 views)
DSC_0619.jpg (58.7 KB, 38 views)
Old April 11th, 2015, 05:13 PM

After engine initial run or break in the oil may appear metallic because metal parts are getting to know each other so to speak.
Old April 11th, 2015, 06:06 PM

OK, it was something like that i tought, guess it will be ok then. Installed a new drain plug with magnet if it will pick up something later...

Last edited by Oldsragger; April 11th, 2015 at 06:09 PM.