Carb and Intake For 455

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Olds + Mopar = Happiness

Carb and Intake For 455

Hey i was just wondering what the suggested carb size is for a modified 455. (High Performance Street Use, 500+ HP) I was also wondering a good carb to use. Are Dominator's a good choice and if so do they make the correct intake for a BBO, or is there another intake i can use (doubtfull) Was also wondering about double pumpers and what i could fit that on. thanks. Sorry am originally a mopar guy this is my first olds thanks for the help.

Last edited by Gearhead442; January 5th, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old January 5th, 2010, 03:51 PM
BobsW32

If this is for the street you can't beat a Quadrajet carb for responsiveneess, economy, and performance 750 CFM which is plenty for the street....
Old January 5th, 2010, 04:17 PM

The street avenger by Holly 770 CFM is another good choice. For a maniford the Edelbrock Performer is a good choice.
Old January 5th, 2010, 04:37 PM

850 Holley would be a good choice. Wouldn't recommend a double pump if it's an automatic though.
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:18 AM

from horse power tv they built a 455 olds e heads ported and a performer intake and pulled 456 horse with it how would one get to 500 with similar set up??
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:53 AM

Quadrajets are good carburetors if rebuilt properly.
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:45 AM

What BobsW32 said, a properly prepared Q-Jet will easily handle 500hp, and be much friendlier on the street
I'm running an 800cfm (79 Pont) on a Torker that I had Dean Oliver modify for me, and it's sweet
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:09 AM

One of our members, 70Wcars (Danny Sarvis) rebuilds Q-jets from time to time. He rebuilt mine and did an excellent job. If you send him a PM you can ask him if he is willing to do it.
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:51 AM

Did 70Wcars tune the carb u sent him to your motor specs or just rebuild it??
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:32 PM

HE tuned it and jetted it to the specs of my car I sent him. I am very happy with it!
Old January 8th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Texas Jim

http://www.powerblockmag.com has an article on tightening up the Q-jet w/ afew good tips that's really not too bad. A good rebuild like that, and a kit containing the jets, metering rods and springs can give you a pretty good street carb. You do need some knowledge to do w/ tuning the carb, but it's not that difficult if you take the trial and error time. Go to this site and then under "horse power," go to "magazine articles."

If anyone else has any indepth articles on Q-jet rebuilding, please post their where-abouts. I'll be going through my Q-jet soon, and even though I've done several in the last 30 years, I'm always open to new info. Nothing like the latest tricks and over-all any new-found Q-jet happenings. Thanks in advance.

By the way, I have a Q-jet (E4ME) that came original on my '81 'Vette which I replaced. I've been a Chevy guy f/ ever, so I don't know if this carb would be applicable/beneficial to anyone w/ an Olds engine, I'm thinking that it would be, but I don't need it and if any of you site members can use it, I'd part w/ it very very reasonably. I'm not offering it f/ the money/what I can get f/ it, which is why I'm saying, "very very." But it's been sitting f/ quite awhile and I'd really like somene to get some use out of it if at all possible. It is in really good shape and it would be a shame if it sat and just wasted away. I've had two guys locally who wanted it, but I knew that they just wanted it because they could get it f/ nothing. Like I said, I want someone, if at all possible, to get some legit use out of it.
(It does have the mixture control solenoid connection and the throttle position sensor connection on it-first year of the computer controlled jobs, 2nd. year f/ Calif.)
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:13 AM

There are ton's of Q-Jet articles on the internet, but, I think Cliff Ruggles book "How to Rebuild and Modify Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors" raised the bar. To run a Q-Jet on a modified (bigger cam,ported heads) will probably require internal mods, not just rod and jet changes to run right.
Old January 9th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
There are ton's of Q-Jet articles on the internet, but, I think Cliff Ruggles book "How to Rebuild and Modify Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors" raised the bar. To run a Q-Jet on a modified (bigger cam,ported heads) will probably require internal mods, not just rod and jet changes to run right.
I couuldn't agree w/ you more as to running a box-stock Q-jet on anything but a mild build, my reason f/ refering to that article as a good one f/ "tightening up" the Q-jet and f/ a "pretty good street carb." I personally have never been a big fan of Q-jets, as I've always experienced better performance w/ SBC build-ups using an AFB, or now Edelbrock w/ mid-level builds, and the set-up of the carb is much friendlier/simpler to make changes on. F/ a "heavy" build, as in big HP and Torque; aluminuim heads, rollercam, etc., something f/ very limited street use and mostly track, I like the "Demon" carbs. Granted, they're high dollar, but w/ a worked SBC, the Demon and AFR heads are a must, IMO the best thing (in the combo) out there right now. I know that we're talking Oldsmobile here, and I don't mean to get off the subject or disrespect any of you Olds guys. I have to say that I was surprised to read that SO many guys are using Q-jets when it comes to quite well modified Olds big blocks. My reason f/ at least initially going w/ the Q-jet that is presently on and that came original w/ my '71 455, is that even the respected names in Olds engineering OKs/suggests the use of it. Alot of you guys on this site have good things to say about the Q-jet and it's use on some well-built engines. I figure why not try what's recommended, even though I've always been on the other side of the fence, I am new to Olds engines. Granted, I'm going w/ a middle of the road build, a street/ strip version that's pretty much daily driver friendly, atleast f/ a motorhead like myself. I am anxious to see how it performs. I'm not one to knock what I know little about. When I first took the smog pump off of my '81 'Vette, I changed the carb, from Q-jet to 600 Edelbrock, as the Q-jet was run by the CCC and I wanted to go mechanical. I changed the carb and thereby disconnected the CCC, removed the smog pump, and set the timing up, and my 'Vette ran like another car. It didn't even sound like the same car. The difference in power was super evident before I even got the over-all engine/related components tuned properly f/ the changes I made. I had the car running as good as it could get w/ the original set-up, I've had the car f/ years and it's in great shape, but didn't come close to what the outcome was after the changes I had made.
The carb from my 'Vette is still here f/ the shipping if anyone can really get some use out of it. I know that it's too small f/ a big block, but I'm thinking that it could be applicable f/ a small block. I also very much appreciate the input I get on this site. I am, f/ the first time, feeling out an Oldsmobile, and this site has been the basis f/ everything I've learned so far to do w/ it. Thanks so much f/ everything.
***I am going to look into the Ruggles manual that you suggest. IMO good references are all individual gold mines.

Last edited by Texas Jim; January 9th, 2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old January 12th, 2010, 06:28 AM
Texas Jim

Originally Posted by made in the usa
if your building a bunch of power and really want to tune it in you need a better carb then a Qjet i always liked demon carbs you pay more but you have a great carb for streat strip and very easy to tune and there designed for power but i am not a Qjet fan
I, in the past, on afew 'Vette sites, argued this point w/ guys who swear that the Q-jet is the best thing that God ever gave a motor-head. I've never been of that opinion, but I'm not going to raise hell about it. Like I said, I'm going to give the Q-jet a try on this 455. If it doesn't work out f/ me, I'll probably end up buying an Edelbrock. However I am going to put alittle time into the Q-jet, making afew mods that the "Q-jet pros insist will "wake it up." Why not? It's something I've never done, and w/ the exception of time, it won't cost me much. The whole thrill of it f/ me is the build itself.
Old January 12th, 2010, 09:36 AM

I have a Demon vac secondary 750 and a toronado intake for a 455, 250.00 both