Olds 425 engine displaced after jack up, Help needed!

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2017, 03:40 PM

Angry Olds 425 engine displaced after jack up, Help needed!

Hi Gents: I own an all original Delta 88 1966 Holiday Sedan export version who is actually located in Buenos Aires Argentina since day one. In the process of removing the oil pan I jacked up the engine using a similar tool as described in the Shop Manual, basically a screw supported by a bar chained to the sway bar. It went well although it tilted a a Little since there was a play in the tool. I use the opportunity to change the motor mounts but To my HORROR I noticed when I put back the engine in position the bolts wouldn't match at all the holes in the frame but 1/2 an inch. It seems the engine displaced to the back by that amount. The culprit are not the new mounts since I reinstalled the old ones to check and with them the displacement was there. Excuse my ignorance but how this can happened?, Please note the car was under stands on the front with an inclination in the direction of the displacement. Please any help on understanding what is going on would be greatly appreciated, I love this car and I have done all very carefully but never expected this outcome. Best Regards. Raul.
Old May 4th, 2017, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the site Raul. If the engine moved towards the rear you may need to use an engine hoist and long pry bar to lift and move the engine forward. When you get the engine mounts bolted in double check your transmission mount as it may have been stressed.
Old May 4th, 2017, 07:47 PM
72 Olds CS

also many times when changing engine mounts the new ones need to be left loose on the engine until you line up the frame mount bolt holes then you can tighten both down.
Old May 4th, 2017, 08:29 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If your transmission mount is a bit worn, the engine could have a fair amount of front to rear movement with the motor mounts disconnected.

As noted, you may need to use a prybar, a winch, or several drunk friends to pull the engine into position.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old May 5th, 2017, 07:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

The motor mounts on the 1965-70 full size cars are different RH/LH. Any chance you inadvertently swapped them? That would account for the 1/2" difference. If the trans mount was untouched, it is not physically possible to displace the engine rearward.
Old May 5th, 2017, 07:40 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
If the trans mount was untouched, it is not physically possible to displace the engine rearward.
But if the rubber is shot, it can be broken, and allow it move, no?

I apply a question mark because this has not happened to me, but I have always been under the impression that it can happen with time and abuse.

- Eric
Old May 5th, 2017, 07:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
But if the rubber is shot, it can be broken, and allow it move, no?
Of course collateral damage opens a whole slew of possibilities. My money is still on the simplest possible cause - swapping the motor mounts RH for LH.
Old May 5th, 2017, 04:21 PM

Hi Joe: Actually I reinstalled the original ones and the difference is still there, The transmission mount bolts where removed as stated in the manual before doing the lift. So, From where can the play rearward come from?. Also i will like to use this email to thank everyone for the welcome and help so far on this. Best. Raul
Old May 6th, 2017, 12:57 PM
Administrator

If the trans mount bolts were removed in addition to both engine mounts, then yes the engine could have shifted when it was lifted. You need to shift the engine back to its installed position.
Old May 6th, 2017, 01:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

It should be pretty obvious by looking at the trans mount to see if the bolt holes still line up with the crossmember. If they do, then it is NOT physically possible for the engine and trans to have moved rearward. Again, you may have reinstalled the original mounts, but did you swap sides inadvertently? Did you bolt the mounts to the correct holes on the block? There are three motor mount holes on each side of the block - your car uses the front two on each side.
Old May 6th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Look, this is not particularly complex. The block and frame do not grow or shrink overnight. There are only two possibilities. 1) The entire engine/trans assembly moved because the trans mount was unbolted. Again, this should be obvious by simply looking at the trans mount and crossmember. If so, readjust the position and bolt everything up. If the trans mount is in the correct location, then the only other possibility is 2) The motor mounts are installed incorrectly, in which case install them correctly. As I pointed out above, these cars use mirror image RH/LH motor mounts and if you swap them, the studs will not lie up with the holes in the frame.
Old May 9th, 2017, 05:15 AM

Joe et all: Thanks for the insight I will find time today or tomorrow to check the aligning of the trans mount (I am afraid to say I did that on a rush and they were fine), check the holes on the block (didn't know there were three of them!) and once again the RH/LH mounts. You give me peace of mind to help me understand there are no other possibilities. I will feedback when complete. Best. Raul
Old May 26th, 2017, 04:03 PM

Effectively it displaced backwards!

Gents: It took me longer than anticipated but I finally managed to have time and look at the tranny mount to confirm the engine has displaced backwards, i am attaching a photo which clearly shows the displacement backward if you use as reference the mild rust marks of the bolts. For the record I initially check this with my hand and not by actually looking, I noticed the holes where there which worried me because since I didn't knew they had such a an elongated shape it seemed to me the trans has not move backward!. Thank you all for quickly given me the peace of mind that actually nothing has been broken. Best Regards. Raul.
Attached Images
Old May 26th, 2017, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Did you get it back together?
Old May 27th, 2017, 03:44 AM

Eric: Not yet, I am overhauling the whole engine bay, mostly cleaning, painting, change of seals so It may take a while yet, Rest assure I will feedback when done.Best. Raul