Water in cylinder after intake swap

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2018, 02:24 PM

Water in cylinder after intake swap

Hey guys,
​​​​l just replaced my stock '74 455 stock intake with an Edelbrock torker. This is in a '55 Nighty-Eight. After putting it back together I tried to start but cylinder #7 was full of water. After doing a Yosemite Sam type rant I calmed down and am ready to start over. This was my first attempt at an intake replacement on a V-8 so not suprising that I flubbed. I would like to avoid my mistake this time.
Any tips moving forward. I didn't use the galley pan, should I?
I did use two end rubber seals which I had trouble getting the intake to seat down far enough to get the seald to be tight. Seems like folks think it's better just to use rtv here.

I also realize I've never had water in this engine. Could it be a cracked head?

Last edited by Moldsmobile98; December 30th, 2018 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Additional thought
Old December 30th, 2018, 03:26 PM

You need to drain the block first, so you don't get water in the cylinders. Wipe the cylinders dry, rotate motor, rewipe them. Drain the oil, and then you should be good to go. Not sure why you did not use the valley tray. Olds made it that way, and works pretty good.
Old December 30th, 2018, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Moldsmobile98
...I did use two end rubber seals which I had trouble getting the intake to seat down far enough to get the seald to be tight. Seems like folks think it's better just to use rtv here.
As does Edelbrock, the installation instructions state not to use the rubber end seals and to use RTV instead.

Old December 30th, 2018, 03:38 PM

It wouldn't hurt to check the manifold with a straight edge. Dry fit the manifold to see how it fits using feeler gages. RTV around the water passages might be good also.
Old December 30th, 2018, 04:00 PM

Then after you remove the intake to fix the water problem, pitch it and put a Performer on it instead. You couldn’t have picked a worse intake for your application.
Old December 30th, 2018, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Then after you remove the intake to fix the water problem, pitch it and put a Performer on it instead. You couldn’t have picked a worse intake for your application.
Totally agree. Torkers are for high RPM applications. Perhaps if you had 4.11 gears and a high stall converter, with roller cam/lifter/rockers, ported heads, HD valve springs on a light vehicle and alway drag raced. Or you raced the ovals. Otherwise a performer would be a better fit.

Old December 31st, 2018, 08:59 PM

Thanks to everyone for the responses, I've learned tons already. I pulled the intake and it looks like a good deal was made everywhere. This engine hasn't run in 20 years. The guy I bought it from said it "ran good when pulled". I'm now suspecting head gasket or crcaked head.
I was oblivious to the different types of intakes. I enjoy the learning from these projects. Some lessons are more fun than others......or expensive!