Washer Bottle Location For Unusual Combo

Search this Thread

Old November 28th, 2012, 09:49 PM

Washer Bottle Location For Unusual Combo

OK once again before I drill holes in a well, for the following combination - Driver's or Passenger side?

Convert
M/T
Non A/C
Heavy Duty Cooling (Y72)
W-25
NOT W-30

I know some of these parameters do not matter, but I'm not sure what does based on what I've researched in the Assy Manual.
Old November 29th, 2012, 07:32 AM

Can you post the page from the 72 manual. In 70 all that mattered was whether it was a 455 or a 350. 455 went on passenger side, 350 went on driver side - options were irrelevant. But in 70 there was no coolant overflow tank so I'm not sure about 72 without seeing the manual. I have seen many 70s with 455s mounted on the drivers side, mine included with no existing holes on the passenger side.
Old November 29th, 2012, 07:44 AM

Steve, that's the problem. The assy manual states that for 455 cars it's supposed to be on the passenger side, except if it has the 35Y72 option which is heavy duty cooling. (section1-5, page 118) My thinking is that would be required if the car has the coolant overflow system, but I don't think it is mandatory that you have the tank system if you have the Y72 option. The In Line tube hose kit I bought makes no distinction - just says it's for all 71-72 cars that have bottle on passenger side and all 455 cars. Personally I like the look on the passenger side better.

I guess the question is - Is the coolant recovery system mandatory for cars with the HD option?
Old November 29th, 2012, 08:07 AM
72 Olds CS

My 72 supreme w AC has no recovery tank.

The car was built in late 71 and doesn't have the 72 seat belt light on the dash either FWIW
Old November 29th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Can you post the page from the 72 manual.
Shame on you Steven. You know that the '72 manual is on Wild About Cars for you to use........
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=50
Old November 29th, 2012, 10:38 AM

yes I know just too lazy!
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Trying to remember member

yes I know just too lazy!
?? So you want someone else to take their time to post it for you? I don't get it.
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:03 PM

The original poster, Costpenn, said he saw it in the assembly manual so I thought he may have it right in front of him in digital format. I do not have the manual downloaded and would have had to spend time searching for the correct pages and look at what was cross referenced where and so forth. Would it have taken a long time, probably not, but if he had it right there......

And we still haven't answered his original question which now seems to come down to does the Y72 cooling necessitate the overflow bottle. I thought the overflow tank was an option in 72 but I don't even see that listed anywhere; Ski rack - yes, NB2 NOX emmision system - yes, U41 low fuel indicator - yes, overflow coolant tank - No.

Y72 includes Heavy Duty radiator with trans cooler, water pump, thermo-cool fan, and 63 amp alternator - requires N47 which is vari ratio power steering, but no overflow tank
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:14 PM

Thanks Stevengerard.

I sent an PM to the '72 guru - hopefully he might have a little more insight. Let me know if you'd like me to scan in that Assembly Manual page.

I've found quite a few differences/inconsistancies so far on this project. For example the assy manual clearly shows that all 72 455 M/T cars have the W30 style PCV valve system, but the CSM shows ONLY W30's to have the intake manifold fed system with the weird elbow. It's an odd combination I'm putting togther and I'd like to get it as close to correct as I can.

The original poster, Costpenn, said he saw it in the assembly manual so I thought he may have it right in front of him in digital format. I do not have the manual downloaded and would have had to spend time searching for the correct pages and look at what was cross referenced where and so forth. Would it have taken a long time, probably not, but if he had it right there......

And we still haven't answered his original question which now seems to come down to does the Y72 cooling necessitate the overflow bottle. I thought the overflow tank was an option in 72 but I don't even see that listed anywhere; Ski rack - yes, NB2 NOX emmision system - yes, U41 low fuel indicator - yes, overflow coolant tank - No.

Y72 includes Heavy Duty radiator with trans cooler, water pump, thermo-cool fan, and 63 amp alternator - requires N47 which is vari ratio power steering, but no overflow tank