W30 Aluminum Intake Manifold Connections - 1970

Search this Thread

Old October 19th, 2012, 02:35 PM

Question W30 Aluminum Intake Manifold Connections - 1970

Hey guys,

I'm not familar will all the connections for a '70 intake manifold. In the picture below I've highlighted with a red circle the 3 connections I'm unaware of. Specific insight is appreciated.

Here is my application:
  • automatic transmission
  • OAI assembly
  • power brakes
  • A/C
  • quadrajet with standard choke (not electric)
  • no TCS
Old October 19th, 2012, 08:13 PM

The bolt is for your solenoid bracket.I'll look at one of my cars & get all the other ones,or send a picture.
Old October 19th, 2012, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
The bolt is for your solenoid bracket.I'll look at one of my cars & get all the other ones,or send a picture.
Ok
Old October 20th, 2012, 01:25 AM

As Brian said, the bolt is for the high idle dashpot. The front vacuum fitting goes to a "T" and then to the bottom plug of the DVC on the front passenger side of the manifold (gray thing in your picture). The rear fitting goes to the A/C vacuum canister on the firewall (round canister).

Old October 20th, 2012, 09:37 AM

That is a nice, clean screenshot of the Assembly Manual page - thanks, Steve! Did that come from WildAboutCars.com?

In regard to the routing, I'm probably going to use #2 fitting for the vacuum tank connection and #3 for the air cleaner (see updated pictures below for numbering).

For #5, I have the proper tee connector for the feed to the TVS and to the transmission modular line.

------

Out of curiosity, if I removed the TVS (thermostatic vacuum switch - 1970 proper) which fitting would be used for the distributor vacuum? And, what about the routing of the carb vacuum?

Old October 20th, 2012, 07:46 PM

If you were to remove the TVS I would send #5 to the transmission through the steel line. Then #2 to the distributor and #3 to the A/C vacuum canister.

For the air cleaner, does it get manifold vacuum or ported vacuum? I would use whichever carburetor fitting gives you the one you need.
Old October 20th, 2012, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
For the air cleaner, does it get manifold vacuum or ported vacuum?
Per the Assembly Manual depiction (see attachment), it's hard to tell as the hose disappears behind the carb. However, on the left hand side of the same page there is an arrow pointing at the tee (406428). It mentions "cut vacuum hose 6.5" from manifold vacuum source & insert tee".

On the page you inserted it shows a manifold fitting for the "existing air cleaner vacuum fitting".

Anyone with a OAI setup with the air cleaner hose running to the back of the carb?

OAI hose routing.jpg
Old October 20th, 2012, 11:48 PM

I just noticed, ( sorry to go off topic ), The W series intake manifolds are made by winters, the same group that made the factory hipo chevy intakes. I just thought it was cool, I saw the little snowflake on the intake
Old October 21st, 2012, 09:09 AM

The thermo flapper out on the neck of the air cleaner gets manifold vacuum.

The OIA air door also gets manifold vacuum.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 05:47 PM

I have a related question.. I'm trying to reconnection the heater system in my '70 cutlass. The vacumm tank needs to be re-installed..trying to figure out the hose assembly. Looking at StlBluesBrothers manifold, can someone explain to me what the aprt is at top dead center? Looks like a heater assembly or something and does that route to the tank vacuum or carb?
Old November 3rd, 2012, 07:11 PM

if you are referring to the curved metal tubes (at TDC)...those are the heat tubes/choke stove tubes that hook up to the choke mechanism on the carb. Unrelated to any heater functions.
Old November 5th, 2012, 06:10 PM

If not running the TVS, run the distributor Vac. Advance to the port on the Q-jet located in the middle of the main Carb casting on the Driver's side FRONT of the carb. That's ported, and the other guys are correct about manifold vac to the Flapper and Thermactor on the Air Cleaner. The Hot choke tube looks wrong...should not have the full 360 Degree loop in it.

Danny