Cutlass/442 W30 Aluminum Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2014, 10:53 AM

Cutlass/442 W30 Aluminum Intake Manifold

Hi all. I can't get a response to my questions from The Parts Place, the seller of this Olds W-455 aluminum intake manifold GM#407570. They simply won't respond to my e-mails and can't reach them via phone either. I have been looking for ways to install the correct OAI Ram Air Assembly in my 455 motor, but I can't because I have an Edelbrock Olds Performer intake and it is too high to clear the Ram air assembly. So I am inquiring into this W-455 intake, which seems to be a replica of the 455 stock intake, but I'm not sure if this intake clears the OAI assembly. Does anyone have any experience with this manifold or know if it clears the OAI assembly?

Last edited by Don Roberto; September 26th, 2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old September 26th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

??? Are you saying that Parts Place is now producing the W intake manifolds?

EDIT: Just looked and I guess they are. WOW! 600 bucks for a repop seems pricey.

Last edited by Allan R; September 26th, 2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old September 26th, 2014, 11:01 AM

Here is it is. See it in their website

Product Name Price Quantity

CB1509T (1970 - 1970 Cutlass/442) W-30 MANIFOLD ALUMINUM CAST #406115 WITH THE WORD (OLDSMOBILE W-455) - *NEW REPRODUCTION* $599.00

Last edited by Don Roberto; September 26th, 2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old September 26th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Just an Olds Guy

If it's a good reproduction it should have no issues fitting an OAI application. Are you going to be the first to buy and try? I believe it was 1970 that the 455 had the full OLDSMOBILE on the intake. It was shortened down to OLDS in 1971 and later years (up till 1976 IIRC)

Here's a pic of an OEM W 455 for comparison

Old September 26th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Don Roberto
Does anyone have any experience with this manifold or know if it clears the OAI assembly?
Well, the stock aluminum intake was ONLY available from the factory with O.A.I., so since this is a "replica", how would it not clear?
Old September 26th, 2014, 11:35 AM

One of these is not like the other

I don't know, the one below looks to have the thermostat in the back...
Old September 26th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Well, the stock aluminum intake was ONLY available from the factory with O.A.I., so since this is a "replica", how would it not clear?
Gee, IDK - everyone is always looking down on repops as being less than perfect; especially with some of the vendor offerings It looks really close and chances are it will fit properly without any issues. Nice to see that there's something new being offered for the aftermarket Olds hobbyists.

Just an FYI though, the manifold could also be bought from the dealer afterwards, but yes it did come stock on W30's so I understand your point. I know folks who have 442s that have dealer installed W455 intakes.

What's your opinion on the price - they have this intake for 1970 also at the same price.
Old September 26th, 2014, 11:44 AM

Well, I need to add that I have a Holley Street Avenger 770 CFM sitting on my intake on a 1/2" spacer. I think that this carb would fit the w-30 manifold but only with an adapter. What is the function of the extra hole on the side of this manifold? I don't seem to have it on my current Edelbrock.
Old September 26th, 2014, 11:48 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Your carb has an electric choke. The holes on the side of the Olds intake are for heat choke tubes that go to the Q-Jet choke which used a bi-metal coil that was heat sensitive.
Old September 26th, 2014, 11:57 AM

Got it. Since I have an electric choke, the heat choke hole in the w-30 manifold can be tapped up for it is not needed, right?
Old September 26th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
Just an FYI though, the manifold could also be bought from the dealer afterwards, but yes it did come stock on W30's so I understand your point. I know folks who have 442s that have dealer installed W455 intakes.
A dealer-installed part is not "from the factory". The dealer could have installed an L69 intake also.
Old September 26th, 2014, 12:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Got it. Since I have an electric choke, the heat choke hole in the w-30 manifold can be tapped up for it is not needed, right?
Yup, you can get block off plates for that or simply make one out of some spare 1/4" sheet metal. I believe Edelbrock sells the block off plates if you want one of theirs. Something like this:
Old September 26th, 2014, 12:23 PM

Cool!!! Thanks. I kinda feel more confident to embark into this project this winter.
Old September 26th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

A dealer-installed part is not "from the factory".
Yes, I know and never said it was. I was simply stating that it could be obtained afterwards also. Read into that some folks wanting to create 'clones' or 'tribute' cars would want to have the right looking parts. Unless I'm mistaken, there's no way for any 69-71 442 to prove it's W30 heritage unless it has documentation? That means that anyone with one of those cars could build the correct looking car and offer it as a W30 without documentation. They'd just have to do some research on the mods required and spent some $$ to achieve the results. The 72 and up is much more difficult to clone into a W30 because of the VIN codes for engines.
Old September 26th, 2014, 01:24 PM

Well, my goal is to be able to install the OAI assembly and gain some more HP. Plus of course the right look and feel.
Old September 26th, 2014, 02:28 PM

??? Are you saying that Parts Place is now producing the W intake manifolds?

EDIT: Just looked and I guess they are. WOW! 600 bucks for a repop seems pricey.
They have been reproducing the 70-72 W-30 intake for probably 8+ years. I had a used one probably 6-7 years ago. I thought this was widely known but I guess not. They have no date code on the bottom but basically look and function just like originals.
Old September 26th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well according to their site, this is a "NEW REPRODUCTION", unless I'm reading that wrong?
Old September 26th, 2014, 02:43 PM

Well according to their site, this is a "NEW REPRODUCTION", unless I'm reading that wrong?
Every reproduction part is new is it not? Even if it was cast 5 years ago, it is still new if it has not been bolted on to an engine.
Old September 26th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

That's not what I was getting at. I got the impression that New Reproduction meant that they had just brought this on stream. Sort of like putting it into NORS category instead of NOS or OEM.
Old September 26th, 2014, 03:07 PM

Allan, are you in an argumentative mood today or do you just not want to believed me unless you know it to be fact? Call or email them rather than quibble back and forth about what the use of the word "NEW" means in their ad. I have owned one and seen many more for sale, specifically at the OCA Nats for many years. The seem to be a good product and I have not heard of any issues with them.
Old September 26th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by orange442
The seem to be a good product and I have not heard of any issues with them.
Naw, let's call it good. I believe the answer you gave in this quote seems to address the issues of the OP.
Old September 26th, 2014, 05:30 PM

So what other company carries this w30 manifold?
Old September 26th, 2014, 07:33 PM

The Parts Place is the only company MAKING THESE...so if you find another repro it'll be a Parts Place piece that was wholesaled to whoever you bought it from. Parts Place sells A LOT of their repro parts to other repro vendors.

Their intake is the same height, width, etc as the original factory alum W30 intake so a factory (or repro) OAI setup will sit at the same height on The Parts Place's manifold as it would on an original.

ALLAN!!! ---Come on!! We ARE talking about The Parts Place!! EVERYTHING they have is a "new" piece....it's called MARKETING/SALES!!

Last edited by 70Post; September 26th, 2014 at 07:37 PM.
Old September 27th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Old(s) Fart

One thing I've noticed about these repro W-30 intakes is that apparently they have only one mold and use replaceable plates to change casting numbers from 1970 to 1971-72 and to change from OLDS to OLDSMOBILE on the first runner. The result is that there is a noticeable ridge around these two areas from casting flash in the gap where the plate goes. I guess if you cared, you could carefully remove this flash then glass bead the intake for looks.
Old September 27th, 2014, 12:33 PM

are u sure u don't have a rpm performer there taller
Old September 27th, 2014, 12:55 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

the older aftermarket 04 will clear if u are not after the "LOOK"
Old September 27th, 2014, 01:04 PM
The Rocket Astronomer

Hi all. I can't get a response to my questions from The Parts Place, the seller of this Olds W-455 aluminum intake manifold GM#407570. They simply won't respond to my e-mails and can't reach them via phone either. I have been looking for ways to install the correct OAI Ram Air Assembly in my 455 motor, but I can't because I have an Edelbrock Olds Performer intake and it is too high to clear the Ram air assembly. So I am inquiring into this W-455 intake, which seems to be a replica of the 455 stock intake, but I'm not sure if this intake clears the OAI assembly. Does anyone have any experience with this manifold or know if it clears the OAI assembly?
04B is shorter and will work fine this is a quote comparing your performer to the 04b
" To correct a post above, the BBO performer is quite a bit better than stock(also taller). It will run well into the 11's on a well built big block. It is not to be confused with the SBO performer which is not much better than stock."
Old September 27th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

One thing I've noticed about these repro W-30 intakes is that apparently they have only one mold and use replaceable plates to change casting numbers from 1970 to 1971-72 and to change from OLDS to OLDSMOBILE on the first runner.
That's interesting information. However I also see the 1970 is different in casting by the #3 port. Do you know what the purpose of the square cut notch is? I don't know if that is machined in or cast that way. You can just see it in the second image, but it matches the OEM pretty darn close. What I did notice is the difference in position of the lettering for the W-455 not being centered under OLDSMOBILE. The repop even has the 'snoflake' casting between the 3 & 5 ports.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
w455 intake 1970.jpg (63.1 KB, 628 views)
Old September 28th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Allan,

Your comparison photos show a number of discrepancies. Not only is the W455 mislocated, but so is the FIRING ORDER. The fonts of the numbers on the runners and the firing order appear to be slightly different on the repro. The "dogbone" boss on the no. 3 runner also looks different. Admittedly some of these differences may be due to lighting issues. By the way, the square notch is machined in after casting, so it is unrelated to the mold used. You can also just barely see the casting ridge and texture difference around the W455 on the repro.
Old September 28th, 2014, 01:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Yeah, I thought the firing order was slightly out of position and the fonts were different sizes, but I wasn't really sure so I held back on that. I couldn't tell on that boss issue, but I see what you're saying. Basically I think for the most part we're seeing the same things.

I had to look at the 70/71/72 CSM to figure out the reason for that machining - it's for an intake bolt. I didn't see it at first on the 71/72 pic from PP.

So a repro intake like the PP one would get a deduction on a concourse judging right?
Old September 28th, 2014, 06:22 PM
1971 442 conv

Here is another side by side comparison. Note the price too

Old September 28th, 2014, 07:04 PM

Don. I bought that intake and the height is perfect. I got the aftermarket Thornton hood, W-30 air cleaner, and all is well. The details of original don't apply. Just enjoy the extra HP.
Old September 28th, 2014, 07:27 PM

The slotted intake bolt hole aft of #3 runner is the one that indexes the intake fore-aft- it is accurately sized to match the 3/8 bolt, and accurately located.

When you have 12 bolts to align, it's best to rely on ONE for alignment and use oversize holes for the rest, so that manufacturing tolerances can be accommodated.
Old September 28th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Old(s) Fart

So a repro intake like the PP one would get a deduction on a concourse judging right?
It SHOULD, but naturally that would depend on the skill and experience of the judging team. My comments on my personal experience as an OCA judge have been posted several times previously.
Old September 29th, 2014, 05:27 PM

if you still need one I have a extra one still in the box for 550 call me bob 813 2675107 also have the rest of the ram air set up thanks
Old September 30th, 2014, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gary M
Don. I bought that intake and the height is perfect. I got the aftermarket Thornton hood, W-30 air cleaner, and all is well. The details of original don't apply. Just enjoy the extra HP.
Thanks. I feel more confident to go ahead with the project and already spoke to a good mechanic who is helping me out with this.
Old September 30th, 2014, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by theoldsguy
if you still need one I have a extra one still in the box for 550 call me bob 813 2675107 also have the rest of the ram air set up thanks
I sent you an SSM.
Old September 30th, 2014, 02:02 PM

Thanks. I feel more confident to go ahead with the project and already spoke to a good mechanic who is helping me out with this.
. Just to be clear ( I don't know if Judges will accept or deduct points for this intake). I have only been to soft judging shows so far. The sentence about details don't apply was not meant to reference judging.
Old September 30th, 2014, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gary M
. Just to be clear ( I don't know if Judges will accept or deduct points for this intake). I have only been to soft judging shows so far. The sentence about details don't apply was not meant to reference judging.
I am not really worried about point deductions. The judged shows I have been to are more into cleanliness and presentation. Besides, in these shows I always register in the modified class. It should be fine. I indeed need the RAM air assembly in place for better performance and proper look.

Question to all: So, what is the difference between the 1970 and 1971-72 PP's repro w-30 intakes? Is it cosmetic? I mean, my understanding is that the 1970-1972 455 big block is the same or am I wrong?