Value of original engine size vs swap

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2018, 09:46 AM

Value of original engine size vs swap

So I have a 69 olds 442. I got a pretty good deal on it in "driver" condition. Currently it has a good running SBC chevy 400 in it. Browsing craigslist for parts one day I came across an oldsmobile 400 originally from a 69 oldsmobile 442 and I picked it up for cheap because it was making a knocking noise (turned out to be a rounded cam lobe.)

I'm wondering if I should swap the oldsmobile 400 in it or keep the chevy 400 as it is. What would the difference in the value, if any, of the car with an original size oldsmobile 400 from a 69 442 (not numbers matching obviously) and just having a chevy 400 swapped in?........... I will say it has been nice to have a good running and driving car and buying upgraded parts for cheap as it seems SBC parts run about 50% cheaper than everything else. On the other hand, even though it's a real 442, without a 442 engine in it then it might as well be a cutlass.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 09:50 AM

Do you put other aftermarket parts on your car? Does it have OE wheels and bias ply tires? If you aren't dedicated to keeping your car all original then there's no reason to replace the SBC engine with the Olds engine.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 11:21 AM
delete

Originally Posted by Olds64
Do you put other aftermarket parts on your car? Does it have OE wheels and bias ply tires? If you aren't dedicated to keeping your car all original then there's no reason to replace the SBC engine with the Olds engine.
JMO but I disagree with that. If its a car you plan on keeping, the car is worth more with the Olds 400 in it. If its not a car you plan to keep long term its probably not worth the effort to switch it back.
Was the engine you bought complete carb to pan? All brackets & pulleys?
Chevy has a different bolt pattern for the transmission than BOP does. Doe sthe transmission you have in the car have both? If not, that's something else you have to plan for.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 11:41 AM

Ya the engine I bought came mated to a TH400 and was complete. Although edelbrock carb, manifold, headers, as well as several other non original parts............ When you say more do you have an estimate on how much more it's worth? 10% more?
Old October 22nd, 2018, 11:52 AM
delete

Originally Posted by eou_edu
Ya the engine I bought came mated to a TH400 and was complete. Although edelbrock carb, manifold, headers, as well as several other non original parts............ When you say more do you have an estimate on how much more it's worth? 10% more?
That's hard to say. While the Olds 400 long stroke isn't a loved engine (I think its got a bad rap) the SBC400 devalues the car in many people's eyes. There are some people that wouldn't even consider it if you were selling it with the Chevy engine,. based on that, I don't think 10% is unreasonable. Hopefully others will opine.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 12:14 PM

Interesting. Why does the olds 400 have a bad rap? I'm pretty new to the olds world. I've been restoring a GTO for almost 10 years and as soon as that was done I bought this mostly restored olds. I bought the car a little over a year ago. I was looking up the NADA value and was very surprised how high the low, mid, and high values were. I don't plan to sell the car, but everything I own is always for sale for the right offer. Even low retail is significantly more than what I have into. That's as opposed to the GTO where I have significantly more money into it than what it is worth. So if I had to choose one to sell it would be the olds. In that case I'd like to make sure the car has the highest value I can get for it.

Last edited by eou_edu; October 22nd, 2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2018, 01:19 PM
delete

The Olds 400G Block is a long stroke small bore setup, where the stroke is actually longer than the cylinder diameter. They produce really strong low end torque but don't rev & aren't the greatest for building
Old October 23rd, 2018, 06:21 PM

GET THAT CHEBBY BOAT ANCHOR OUT OF THERE!! Find some rounds round racer who would want that. Put the Olds back in, everyone will sleep better at night.
Old October 24th, 2018, 07:13 AM

I'd say, enjoy the car the way it is. To install a "period "correct Olds G block, you'll spend thousands redoing the engine and transmission. The value won't change dramatically from a G-block running car vs a Chevy powered car with and including the G-block engine and transmission. Maybe a thousand or so. Not worth the time and expense IMO. Btw, the small bores on the G-block engine don't make for maximum valve unshrouding as to utilize the big valved heads. Not the best Oldsmobile BB for performance but fine for a fun street engine, JMO.
Old October 25th, 2018, 06:04 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The 442 with a have decent gearing which helps chebby motors a lot. With 2 something gearing in a heavy vehicle they are near useless. Is the original trans in the car or was an adapter plate used? What else needs done to the Olds 400, what kind of shape is it inside?

Last edited by olds 307 and 403; October 25th, 2018 at 06:12 AM.