Tough to start, slightly sluggish off the line.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:32 PM
Runner

Tough to start, slightly sluggish off the line.

I feel like my Cutlass SX (2bbl carb) is pretty tough to start and a little sluggish (for having such a big engine from 0-60). I'm more concerned with the starting issue.

When I start the car, I have to pump / push the gas before turning the key a couple times. Once I try that, the engine turns over a couple slow times. I do this 2 or three times and then it will crank up great. If I stop the car and start it back up the same day, its a first try nice start up.

What would cause this? Timing, a part, just an old car?

Thanks
Old November 22nd, 2010, 01:52 PM
InfoJunkie

It could very well be timing or other things. I've found that stock timing sets (silent chain with nylon cam gear) tend to wear out about 80k miles.
Check the chain and replace if needed. I think I saw a previous thread on how to check it.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Joffroi
I feel like my Cutlass SX (2bbl carb) is pretty tough to start and a little sluggish (for having such a big engine from 0-60). I'm more concerned with the starting issue.

When I start the car, I have to pump / push the gas before turning the key a couple times. Once I try that, the engine turns over a couple slow times. I do this 2 or three times and then it will crank up great. If I stop the car and start it back up the same day, its a first try nice start up.

What would cause this? Timing, a part, just an old car?

Thanks
So are you saying it's hard to start mainly when it's cold? If so check the choke.