Timing light?

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2020, 02:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by bassinguy
Back in the day I had a Mercury Comet with a 4 bbl v-8. Car would only run on one side. I could pull 4 spark plugs wires on side with no effect of engine running. I pulled one on the opposite side and engine died. Found the carb was only feeding half the engine. Replaced carb, and it ran fine. Just a suggestion. Bassinguy
The cab has nothing to do with whether or not the distributor makes a spark. You can unbolt the carb, put a timing light on the engine, crank it over with the starter, and the timing light will STILL work.
Old March 12th, 2020, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Exactly. I've been trying to come up with credible failure modes that would account for all four spark leads on one bank not powering a timing light. Other than a coincidental failure of all four wires or plugs, or a really, really coincidental carbon track in the cap, the only other thing I can come up with is some sort of resisitve connection between the head and the block that prevents a good ground path to the plugs. Given the number of head bolts, intake bolts, and other fasteners, I have a hard time seeing this a a credible failure mode.
The same thought crossed my mind also... The only commonality is the distributor cap, but with the firing order I can't get there either.
Old March 12th, 2020, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by bassinguy
Back in the day I had a Mercury Comet with a 4 bbl v-8. Car would only run on one side. I could pull 4 spark plugs wires on side with no effect of engine running. I pulled one on the opposite side and engine died. Found the carb was only feeding half the engine. Replaced carb, and it ran fine. Just a suggestion. Bassinguy
What intake manifold? Most manifolds are a dual-plane, "double-H" design, where one side of the carb fuels two inside cylinders of one bank, and two outside cylinders of the other bank.

I don't know of a manifold that fuels bank-by-bank. Well, a cross-ram does, but typically with either twin carbs, or a huge plenum (or both.)
Old March 12th, 2020, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
Does it run well?!
Originally Posted by rustyroger
Does it only run on 4 cylinders?.
Originally Posted by oldcutlass
are you saying its only running on the even cylinders?
Originally Posted by Schurkey
Nowhere in this thread does Garage28 confirm that all eight cylinders are actually running.

First Guess: He's finding that there's four dead cylinders.
Anyone besides me notice that this crucial bit of info is not being supplied?
Old March 12th, 2020, 07:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

I don't know of a manifold that fuels bank-by-bank.
Now you do.
Yeah, there's a reason why no manufacturer ever copied this goofy design from Offenhauser.
And of course, this still has nothing to do with ignition or spark.

Old March 12th, 2020, 07:40 PM
Running On Empty

I believe my brain believes it's an early Monday morning - I'm crazed & confused.

Help me understand. The OP states he has an HEI (Post #1). Then, in post #19 he's going to put a new module in the Mallory the car came with. What exactly does that mean? An original Mallory ignition system is not an HEI is it not? So, what is going on? He had an HEI and the HEI wasn't working then he's swapping out the HEI with a Unilite Mallory and a new module in the Mallory? I think I'm brain dead for sure. Or, he has a newer Mallory HEI system?

Didn't the original type Mallory require an external voltage regulator to run in-line with that system or you'd fry the distributor? Like this Mallory inline voltage regulator/ filter p/n 29351. I'm hedging here, I know, maybe that VR is shot?

EDIT: They call it a Power Filter, not a VR.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; March 12th, 2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old March 12th, 2020, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I believe my brain believes it's an early Monday morning - I'm crazed & confused.

Help me understand. The OP states he has an HEI (Post #1). Then, in post #19 he's going to put a new module in the Mallory the car came with. What exactly does that mean? An original Mallory ignition system is not an HEI is it not? So, what is going on? He had an HEI and the HEI wasn't working then he's swapping out the HEI with a Unilite Mallory and a new module in the Mallory? I think I'm brain dead for sure. Or, he has a newer Mallory HEI system?

Didn't the original type Mallory require an external voltage regulator to run in-line with that system or you'd fry the distributor? Like this Mallory inline voltage regulator/ filter p/n 29351. I'm hedging here, I know, maybe that VR is shot?

EDIT: They call it a Power Filter, not a VR.
Some folks think ANY electronic ignition is an "HEI".

Mallory made an HEI clone in addition to the crappy Unilites. Yes, the Unilites should have the "power filter" because they didn't bother to make the Unilite module robust enough to survive; unlike the "genuine" HEI module which works just fine up to 18-ish volts, at least short-term.

Either way, I get suspicious when the original poster quits answering questions.
Old March 12th, 2020, 08:22 PM
Running On Empty

Some folks think ANY electronic ignition is an "HEI".

Mallory made an HEI clone in addition to the crappy Unilites. Yes, the Unilites should have the "power filter" because they didn't bother to make the Unilite module robust enough to survive; unlike the "genuine" HEI module which works just fine up to 18-ish volts, at least short-term.

Either way, I get suspicious when the original poster quits answering questions.
I believe the issue w/ the Mallory system was the ground was it not? They couldn't employ the original GM HEI patented ground system so they did some type of mysterious reverse engineering - I think sending the ground back to the engine block? Or was it something else, the bearings in the distributor that grounded the distributor? I honestly do not know. I'm no guru on HEI or the original Mallory systems but I had friends who had them and they were hit or miss IIRC.
Old March 12th, 2020, 09:56 PM
Administrator

I like the old Mallory products better than MSD who bought them out. I have used many Unilight distributors and still have a 75 series HEI sitting on the shelf I'm thinking on freshening up.
Old March 12th, 2020, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Now you do.
Thanks for the reminder.

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
I believe the issue w/ the Mallory system was the ground was it not? They couldn't employ the original GM HEI patented ground system so they did some type of mysterious reverse engineering - I think sending the ground back to the engine block? Or was it something else, the bearings in the distributor that grounded the distributor? I honestly do not know. I'm no guru on HEI or the original Mallory systems but I had friends who had them and they were hit or miss IIRC.
Naw, they were just an under-engineered piece of crap. They were sensitive to over-voltage problems because the internal components were not robust. So Mallory wanted you to buy a $40 surge protector to "protect" the $40 module they failed to engineer properly.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I like the old Mallory products better than MSD who bought them out. I have used many Unilight distributors and still have a 75 series HEI sitting on the shelf I'm thinking on freshening up.
Enjoy. I wouldn't give them the time of day. 'Course, MSD isn't any better now. What isn't Chinese is potted and non-repairable. No thanks.

Last edited by Schurkey; March 12th, 2020 at 11:27 PM.
Old March 29th, 2020, 08:03 AM

pull the plugs and exchange them from odd to evan...plugs are possibly not grounded...do you put thread compound on them?
Old March 29th, 2020, 09:09 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Anyone besides me notice that this crucial bit of info is not being supplied?
OK RESET TIME PEOPLE AND TO THE OP..... Does the dam thing run well on all 8 or doest it NOT run well!?!
51 posts and that question has not been answered.
Old March 29th, 2020, 09:39 AM
Running On Empty

I'm thinking there's a short between the headset...
Old March 29th, 2020, 12:36 PM

Strange problem indeed. How about swap #2 plug wire with #1 (cap end and plug end of coarse) and see if it triggers the timing light on #1.
Or a new set of wires maybe, who knows with little to no feedback from the op.