Should I leave well enough alone? 🤔

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2021, 06:02 AM

Should I leave well enough alone? 🤔

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been wrestling with the idea of replacing the throttle cable on my '72 Supreme. I've even gotten an aftermarket factory cable and a universal bracket should I choose to undergo this endeavor. The current setup works just fine, but, as you can see, it's not very appealing to the eye.

This was done by a PO, and my thoughts were to replace the entire setup with a new cable and bracket. Trouble is, there would be some obstacles to overcome.

First of all, it appears the JB weld was used to permanently attach the cable retainer to the bracket.

No biggie, right? Just toss the whole setup and call it a day.

Well, here's the second issue. It looks like a nut was somehow used to attach the cable to the firewall.

So here we go...the first issue I see is getting the nut off (it's not in easily accessible location), and two, if the hole was drilled out to accommodate the nut, then the new retainer wouldn't work, because the hole would need to be as factory designed, correct? (square shaped)
Third, I could just get rid of the JB weld on the bracket, ditch the bracket and at least use the new bracket with the existing cable. The issue with that is, where do I get a new retainer? I could get a universal cable kit that comes with the retainer separate, but 40 bucks just for the retainer is not money well spent.
Plus, (and here's the nagging question), am I biting off more than I can chew? I don't wanna get jammed up 1/2 way through the job, only to wish I just left well enough alone.

So there ya go...
Old June 15th, 2021, 07:04 AM

If it currently works that is a plus. The biggest drawback I see isn't the JB Weld or frayed stainless cable but the fact that the bracket only secures to one bolt of the carburetor. Most aftermarket throttle cables attach to two of the carburetor bolts on the side. As I recall, the OE throttle cable bracket on my 71 98 attached to the two rear carburetor bolts.
Old June 15th, 2021, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
but the fact that the bracket only secures to one bolt of the carburetor. Most aftermarket throttle cables attach to two of the carburetor bolts on the side. As I recall, the OE throttle cable bracket on my 71 98 attached to the two rear carburetor bolts.
I had the same thought.

Here's what the bracket looks like with the throttle cable attached. That bracket goes across the back of the carburetor and attaches to both of the rear carburetor hold-down bolts.

In the case of 72455's car, that aftermarket carburetor extends farther back than the stock quadrajet (circled in yellow in the photo below), and perhaps that prevented the full width bracket from being used. So whoever did this installation had to fabricate another throttle cable attachment, and that's why it ended up being a patched together thing mounted on only one bolt and having to use JB weld.

A second question is what is that attachment-point-looking-clip that I circled in orange?

The aftermarket carburetor may work fine, but it seems that there are always unintended consequences when installing something like this. In this case, doing so resulted in a less-than-satisfactory throttle cable attachment. If that single bolt loosens at all, that black bracket could likely move at least somewhat, and throttle control could be lost.

To my mind, coming up with a better throttle cable hold-down would be something to do first, then worry about replacing the throttle cable.

Last edited by jaunty75; June 15th, 2021 at 08:15 AM.
Old June 15th, 2021, 08:40 AM
Administrator

There are so many aftermarket universal brackets out there pick one close and adj/modify to fit. What transmission are you using?
Old June 15th, 2021, 10:31 AM

The point you circled in Orange is where the factory return spring went to. I agree with the others. There are a ton of aftermarket brackets available that make the job a lot easier. Some of them are adjustable so the carb position really does not matter that much. I have to agree with you on the appearance

This one would probably do the trick:
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...ge/parts/20-88
Old June 15th, 2021, 01:39 PM

Ok, so here's the bracket I plan on using...it has a "lip" that will sit against the carb to help keep it from moving, and also an adjustable set screw that helps keep it into place. (And yes, I know I'll have make it work, but that's easily done...it's very user friendly).

Seems the consensus is to just replace the bracket and leave the cable as is, but where do I get a single retainer without dropping 40 bones on a whole kit?
Old June 16th, 2021, 04:43 AM

If you just buy a new throttle bracket without a cable kit you won't have a way to join the two together. I suggest you leave the throttle as is until you can get a new throttle bracket and cable kit and do it the right way. BTW, where did you find that throttle bracket you posted the pic of?
Old June 16th, 2021, 06:05 AM

If you just buy a new throttle bracket without a cable kit you won't have a way to join the two together. I suggest you leave the throttle as is until you can get a new throttle bracket and cable kit and do it the right way. BTW, where did you find that throttle bracket you posted the pic of?
Any local parts store should have it, but I got mine from Auto Zone.
Old June 16th, 2021, 06:11 AM

Why wouldn't I be able to join them together? All I would need is the bracket, and new retainer, right?
Old June 16th, 2021, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by 72455
Why wouldn't I be able to join them together? All I would need is the bracket, and new retainer, right?
Did the bracket you purchased come with any clips, retainers or hardware?
Old June 16th, 2021, 07:38 AM

Did the bracket you purchased come with any clips, retainers or hardware?
Nope, but I do have a new retainer.
Old June 16th, 2021, 10:33 AM

Got it done, and it went pretty well. I just disconnected the cable from the "turnbuckle", pulled it through the existing bracket/retainer, unbolted the bracket, put the new retainer onto the new bracket, slid the cable through the retainer, and tightened everything up. After one adjustment, I'm good to go😀

Thanks to all for the advice/suggestions 😀
Old June 16th, 2021, 04:34 PM
72 Olds CS

Kudos on the completion of the project.

But since your stated in your original post your motivation was because the set-up was not very appealing to the eye, i think the 2 return springs at different locations, the forward return spring bracket, and the universal cable bracket detract from the appearance.

but if it works and its covered by the air cleaner your GTG