sealants on intake...

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009, 07:04 PM

sealants on intake...

Going to have intake off of 67-400 shortly.

When I put it back together, should I use a sealant on the water ports between head/gasket/intake?

Other?

If yes, what brand/type/number should I use on any of the gaskets? both the intake gaskets, and the end pieces.

I know there are lots of smart motor builders here, with experience, that can tell me what I should use on it.

Thanks.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Registered Luser

I use RTV black around the water ports, and I also use something around the remaining ports(I can't remember the name, funny sounding) to prevent vacuum leaks. RTV black heavy on the ends, no end pieces(thats if you are doing aluminum).. I'm sure somebody remembers the stuff I'm talking about, all I know is it makes a nasty, sticky, black mess...
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by ent72olds
I use RTV black around the water ports, and I also use something around the remaining ports(I can't remember the name, funny sounding) to prevent vacuum leaks. RTV black heavy on the ends, no end pieces(thats if you are doing aluminum).. I'm sure somebody remembers the stuff I'm talking about, all I know is it makes a nasty, sticky, black mess...

Edelbrock Gasgacinch, Permatex Indian Head gasket shellac, or High Tack sealant. Will prevent any leaks on proper mated surfaces.
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Registered Luser

Thank you...I knew somebody would get it!
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Wireman134
Edelbrock Gasgacinch, Permatex Indian Head gasket shellac, or High Tack sealant. Will prevent any leaks on proper mated surfaces.
i like gasgacinch the best.
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

I've always just used Permatex Silicone. Be aware that the stock turkey tray gasket has four raised locating features around the bolt holes near the ends of the gasket. It is very important that these be seated in the counterbores at their corresponding bolt holes. I often wonder if the problems that people seem to have with this gasket are due to not getting the locating features installed properly.

Also, the rubber end gaskets ALWAYS squirt out eventually. Using a center punch to dimple the surfaces that they sit on on the block does help, but I'm lazy so I just run a tall bead of silicone along the front and back edges of the block and throw the end seals away. I'll let the bead tack up before installing the manifold.
Old May 28th, 2009, 02:28 PM

I just used this to seal the gasket. http://permatex.com/products/Automot...et_Sealant.htm

It was the nuts.
Clean the heads and intake REAL GOOD. then wipe them with some laquer thinner to really clean them. spread the adhesive on the surfaces and the gasket. I used Permatex Ultra-Black on the water jackets AND the ends of the intake (threw the rubbers away). Make sure to add a little extra where the block meets the head.
After the adhesive gets tacky set the gaskets, put another bead of black around the water jackets, then set the intake.
After 24 hours you should be cured and sealed.
Old May 29th, 2009, 04:32 AM

additional clarification...

all good info. Thanks.

Clarification point: Do you use silicone on BOTH sides of the gasket at the water ports?

Or longer way of asking, is do you:

- run silicone around the water port in head,
-use the (gasacinch or permatex gasket sealant) on the rest of the gasket surface,
-SET THE GASKET, and
-THEN put ANOTHER bead of silicone around the water port on the gasket
between the gasket and intake?

(I'm OK on the ends. plenty of black, throw end pieces away.)

Thanks for the info/help.
Old May 29th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Registered Luser

Yes, silicone around water ports on heads and top side of gasket, gascacinch the same way, but I put on both sides of gasket(remaining ports), not on heads....
Old June 13th, 2009, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by gearhead1218
I just used this to seal the gasket. http://permatex.com/products/Automot...et_Sealant.htm

It was the nuts.
Clean the heads and intake REAL GOOD. then wipe them with some laquer thinner to really clean them. spread the adhesive on the surfaces and the gasket. I used Permatex Ultra-Black on the water jackets AND the ends of the intake (threw the rubbers away). Make sure to add a little extra where the block meets the head.
After the adhesive gets tacky set the gaskets, put another bead of black around the water jackets, then set the intake.
After 24 hours you should be cured and sealed.
NOW MINE IS LEAKING IN THE REAR!!!!!!
I still stand by Permatex adhesive on the gasket surfaces.
But I guess I didn't use enough black RTV on the ends. It's going to take longer to clean the surfaces than to do the rest of the job. This SUCKS. Well, off with the intake again.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...........
Old June 13th, 2009, 07:55 PM

If it is leaking in the rear, just add more rtv after cleaning with a mild spray solvent like Wurth or Mopar 4897150AB.
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:58 AM

we just used some stuff called the RIGHT STUFF and man is that some good sh*t. we didnt do around the ports so when i went to pull off the intake to redo the ports, HOLY i had a heck of a time getting the intake off because of the ends being sealed withthis RIGHT STUFF

it comes in a tube for your cualk gun