radiator repair/replacement 394 cu. in.

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2008, 01:35 PM
super88

radiator repair/replacement 394 cu. in.

In need of radiator repair/replacement for my recently inherited 62 Super 88.

Have already attempted the "rabbit-turd" method, with only temporary success.

Local mechanic indicated that originals can be repaired at around $400.

I also have seen on-line outfits that sell "new" ones for around $375.

Please advize, and do you know of anyone in the Cleveland OH (east side) area that can handle such work??

Thanks
Old June 7th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Oldsdruid

I was able to get a new 64 core 3 years ago. All of $190. See what the price is if you R&R the radiator- the mechanic may be figuring in his markup.

Lot depends on whether rad shop is motivated to find one. One shop here automatically says can't get a core for older stuff.

I think they're just lazy and don't want to fool with it. The other two shops here could get cores all day long. Trouble is they've both closed in the last year. One owner died, the other retired at age 78.

My experience with "new" radiators was that it didn't come anywhere close to fitting properly and when I called their tech support nobody there spoke English.
Old June 8th, 2008, 11:24 AM

Lot depends on whether rad shop is motivated to find one. One shop here automatically says can't get a core for older stuff.

Ain`t that the truth-!!!find another radiator shop /get another opinion/price
Old June 15th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Geezer

New radiators either generic after market type or certified to original GM specs are available for '62 Oldsmobiles with prices between $99 and $299 depending upon the type and specific application. Go to:
http://www.radiator.com/
Old June 15th, 2008, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Texascarnut
........ available for '62 Oldsmobiles ........
http://www.radiator.com/oldsmobile-radiator.html Look up '62 Olds Super 88, and tell us which one he should buy.

I'll stay with my local shop.

Norm
Old June 15th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by 88 coupe
http://www.radiator.com/oldsmobile-radiator.html Look up '62 Olds Super 88, and tell us which one he should buy.

I'll stay with my local shop.

Norm

Well Norm, if you knew much about '62 Oldsmobiles you would know there were only two versions of radiators used for all full sized autos and if there are three choices one of which is an after market something it isn't too difficult to figure out which one should be used if all the info were to be given to the Radiator.com personnel. They will call you on their own nickel or you can use their 800 number if one doesn't want to do that. To save a couple of hundred bucks it might just be a good option for some.
Old June 17th, 2008, 03:23 PM

To address the original post: My local shop quoted a "Ballpark" of $280, for a new core.

And with apologies, in advance, for my use of bold fonts.

Originally Posted by www.radiator.com

Chuck: What model and year Oldsmobile do you have?

Norm: Super 88, 1962

Chuck: Do you know the engine size?

Norm: 394

Chuck: OK. Would you prefer quotes on an OE certified or aftermarket radiator?

Norm: Original

Chuck: good. With our OE certified parts, you'll be putting in exactly what you pulled out. Lifetime Warranty and drop-in fit. Do you want quotes on just the radiator -- or installation too?

Norm: Radiator only

Chuck: There are a couple of different radiators, ranging in price between $99.00 and $221.23. All run about 1/3 what the dealer charges. Hold on --

Chuck: Your price is coming. Looks like that '88 is a really complicated fit. I'll just quote you the most likely 1 of the 3 possible parts -- Or you're welcome to talk to one of our Oldsmobile techs to be 100% sure. What's your Zip Code and how soon would you need it?

Norm: 90210

Chuck: Good. We deliver into Beverly Hills every day, so we can get that part out to you as soon as you need it. Let me pull up the price here--

Chuck: I could sell this to you but the '88 was a little tricky. Your best bet is speaking to Hank, our lead Oldsmobile technician (or one of his techs), - he usually figures out the right radiator the first time. He's on the phone now but I can have him call you back in a minute - what's your phone number and the area code?

Norm: Forget it

Chuck: No problem-- We've been here 20 years, and aren't satisfied till you are. If you'd like, I can put a note in our system, so if you decide to make us your last call, we'll know to beat any price you find ........
Norm
Old June 17th, 2008, 08:18 PM

I had to laugh my nuts off with the responses radiator.com gave you!!!...All run about 1/3 what the dealer charges and its is a complicated fit..Tell me an Oldsmobile dealer that is still open and what is so complicated with the fit? I'll stick to my local shop as well
Old July 19th, 2008, 10:18 AM
1972 Cutlass 455

I just went to radiator.com and I got the same conversation WORD FOR WORD. Even the "Hanks on the phone, give us your phone number". I dont need any more telemarketers calling me.
Old July 19th, 2008, 01:46 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by silverriff
I just went to radiator.com and I got the same conversation WORD FOR WORD. Even the "Hanks on the phone, give us your phone number". I dont need any more telemarketers calling me.

me too and were even undeterred when I said I lived in newzealand --still wanted to install the rad.Wonder what his boss thinks when he asks for an air ticket to head far south for a few days !!