PVC valve for engine with OAI

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2014, 06:54 AM

PVC valve for engine with OAI

My 71 W30 build has repop aluminum intake from the parts place which is cast from original molds. I will be doing away with the distributor vacuum advance switch (since I don't have one and they are damn near unobtainium) and using that port in the manifold for heat sensor for my under dash temp gauge. There is a large vacuum port next to that that is for the PVC valve. Since this car has the OAI system and the plumbing on both valve covers goes to the breather pan where do I route the PVC plumbing ? I'm confused Thanks for any help !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PVC Port 2.jpg (8.9 KB, 39 views)
PVC Port 1.jpg (6.2 KB, 32 views)
PVC Port 3.jpg (7.0 KB, 34 views)
Old August 26th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by The Bug Man
My 71 W30 build has repop aluminum intake from the parts place which is cast from original molds. I will be doing away with the distributor vacuum advance switch (since I don't have one and they are damn near unobtainium) and using that port in the manifold for heat sensor for my under dash temp gauge. There is a large vacuum port next to that that is for the PVC valve. Since this car has the OAI system and the plumbing on both valve covers goes to the breather pan where do I route the PVC plumbing ? I'm confused Thanks for any help !!
Well, since you apparently have a CSM, turn to the page that shows PCV plumbing. The valve connects to the nipple towards the front of the intake, between the runners. There's a molded rubber elbow that goes on the nipple. The PCV valve then goes between the carb nipple and this elbow, using a short piece of straight hose to connect to the carb nipple.

FYI, I seriously doubt the repro W-30 intakes are cast from "original molds". If you look closely at the "OLDSMOBILE" logo on the front of the intake, you'll note that there's a slight ridge around it. There's one repro mold used to cast both the "OLDS" and "OLDSMOBILE" style intakes with a plate that is changed out depending on which type is being made.
Old August 26th, 2014, 11:19 AM

Joe thanks for the info and I've looked at that manual till I'm crossed eyed. The shading where lines over lap on them is somewhat confusing. On the intake I'm just quoting the sales tech at the parts place. I don't doubt what you're saying a bit. Anyway this build is a clone for me to drive and enjoy, do cruise in's, and a few local shows. Nothing more. Thanks again for your help
Old August 26th, 2014, 11:42 AM

Found It Joe ! Page 6H-3 in chassis manual.
Old August 27th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by The Bug Man
Found It Joe ! Page 6H-3 in chassis manual.
I knew I had seen it in there. I just didn't have a 71 manual handy at the time I wrote that.