PCV question

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2023, 05:54 AM

PCV question

I finally got the 455 up and running in my 56. Complete rebuild, 0.30 over, high comp pistons, mild cam. Mostly stock, though.
I have a set of finned alum. valve covers on it. I have a PCV valve connected on one side, the other is just open for now. I made a flat plat under where the PCV goes into the cover, to prevent oil from getting sucked in. Well, after break in and running to top off the trans, it started to smoke pretty good! Pulled plugs, oily, did compression, OK, but oil poured out the line for the PCV. Blocked off PCV, smoking stopped.
Obvious my baffle isn't working well. The other valve cover, being open with around a 1" tube sticking up, is shooting oil out of it, onto the wheel well.
Is this normal for Olds? On Chevies, and other motors, I simply used the baffled grommet on the PCV side, and it worked. Looks like the oil being splashed around in the Olds covers, is more excessive than any I've seen (or is it?).
Any suggestions? Keep the PCV, just put filters on both valve covers? Different baffle set-up under the alum. covers? I can fabricate almost anything, if that is an issue.
Old January 28th, 2023, 06:53 AM
Running On Empty

This question appears w/ some regularity. Since you didn't state the manufacturer of the valve covers, it's tough to say which baffle might work best. Fabricating your own is most likely the way to go.
I'll add this - I'd fill the baffle void w/ steel wool, as well.

Here's a good read for 455 PCV...

PCV Valve question
Old January 28th, 2023, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
This question appears w/ some regularity. Since you didn't state the manufacturer of the valve covers, it's tough to say which baffle might work best. Fabricating your own is most likely the way to go.
I'll add this - I'd fill the baffle void w/ steel wool, as well.

Here's a good read for 455 PCV...

PCV Valve question
I wouldn't use steel wool at all. Tell me how the steel wool shards and pieces wouldn't get into the oil pump screen and oil pump. Or splashed around inside the engine on cam lobes and thrust bearing.
Old January 28th, 2023, 03:54 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by OLDSter Ralph
I wouldn't use steel wool at all. Tell me how the steel wool shards and pieces wouldn't get into the oil pump screen and oil pump. Or splashed around inside the engine on cam lobes and thrust bearing.
Fair enough. Poor choice of words on my part. What I should have said was Stainless Steel Woven Wire Mesh. The type they use in a PCV filter assembly. You can buy it in sheets &/or rolls.

Old January 29th, 2023, 06:07 AM

I know what you're talking about. My 55 Had it in it's oil fill cap. When I had it rechromed, I took it out, and replaced it with stainless steel pot scrubber material.