olds 455 timing and cylinder firing issues

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2010, 07:44 PM

Angry olds 455 timing and cylinder firing issues

I have a 69 442 with a transplanted 455 that I just bought a couple weeks ago. I've noted the engine runs rough, has poor acceleration and is hard to start/turnover when warmed up. It sounded to me like crosswired ignition. I checked the sparkplug wires and found several out of sequence which should be 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. I got that straightened out and then checked with a timing light TDC on #1 (front cyl on driver's side bank). The engine will not start at all with sputtering and backfires.
Am I missing something here?? If I was 180 out of phase then the timing mark on the crank pulley would not be TDC and I am right on.
Could it be the timing gears were not aligned properly... or is it possible for a cam could be designed to alter the firing sequence?? I have no history on this engine, and the two previous owners only put a total of 2000 miles on the car in 7 years. My next step is to do compression checks and even pop the valve covers and hand turn the crank, noting firing positions on each cylinder. What else?? I have an F block with J heads, and that is all I know so far. I appreciate your thoughts on this one.
Old December 6th, 2010, 07:57 PM
InfoJunkie

Remember that Olds firing order runs counter clockwise. Check to see where rotor points when engine ia at TDC on compression stroke on #1 cyl and go from there.
Old December 6th, 2010, 08:43 PM

as info said you have to be firing #1 when the piston is at top dead center of the Compression stroke not exhaust stroke. pull the #1 plug and put your finger over the hole (pull the coil wire so it wont try to start) and bump the engine till it starts to blow air out of the cyl. then move it the last little bit till the balancer mark lines up to the timing tab. that is tdc of compression. where ever the rotor is pointing is #1, then work counter clockwise with the plug wires.
Old December 6th, 2010, 09:03 PM

455 timing issues

That's what I get for believing an online web site that clearly stated the rotor would turn clockwise!! Counterclockwise would make the difference for sure. I'll straighten that out tomorrow nite. I'll let you know. Thanks a bunch!!
Old December 6th, 2010, 09:09 PM

Remember also that it is a 4 cycle engine. One #1 at TDC is firing, the other is overlap with #6 firing.
Old December 8th, 2010, 08:16 PM

Smile Cylinder firing order and timing issues resolved!

Yep that distributor rotor rotates COUNTERCLOCKWISE! There is a web site out there that I logged into that told me the opposite. I rewired for CCW rotation and had no trouble getting things timed right. I'll bet it's been at least seven years since a crosswired distributor occurred, and no one caught it. Thanks a bunch for your help/input on this issue. I've got lotsa other questions that'll come up in this "discovery process" learning just what this car really is... or should I say was??