Need HELP!!!!! BAD OIL LEAK :( 71 delta88

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2012, 05:55 PM

Need HELP!!!!! BAD OIL LEAK :( 71 delta88

Hey guys my first stupid question is about the oil dip stick....Am I reading it properly or do I have too much oil in my car
starting from the bottom tip....you have add then 2 dots then 2 more dots then full and a line where i have put the red arrow....is that line the full mark??
IMG_0416.jpg

Then the bad oil leak was coming from somewhere on the passenger sidethe upper control arm was soaked in oil... I cleaned it all up and noticed a place what looks like where a plug should be if so what size??? The engine is the 455. I will cry if this is something more serious
DSC08049.jpg

Last edited by scooter123; March 21st, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:05 PM

The dipstick is read that the 2 dots below full is the full mark. Anything above that overfilled. Not sure on the hole but looks like could be the extra hole for motor mount location or a bracket ot bolt too? Start her up again you'll see if oil come from it and get your answer. If needed then just find a bolt that threads in and install it with some teflon tape of anti-seize.
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:25 PM

I once had a car that had the wrong dipstick and/or dipstick tube. It read a quart off. Oddly that mark is about the same distance above the full mark as the full mark is above the add mark.

If that was the problem an oil and filter change with the correct amount of oil would tell you if the dipstick is off.
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:35 PM

That is a engine mount bolt hole and it cant leak oil.
Old March 21st, 2012, 06:49 PM

Full is the two dots at the full word. Oil should never be above the word full.
After changing the oil with the regular 5 quarts, take note of the level. Is it possible you have a wrong dipstick put in by a previous owner?
IF the car seems to make oil (level goes up) and overfill itself and smells like gas, then the fuel pump has ruptured internally.

That hole is just an extra hole for some bracket that your car in not using.

The bolt is a coolant plug. You would remove that one and the one on the other side of the engine in order to get most of the coolant out during a change.

Looks like you have the optional block heater (the made in Canada part.)
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:01 PM

Thanks guys I drained the oil till I got it to the correct level.....This was a rookie move on my part and I took the car for a 15km run after and all is ok!!!!

One more question what is the proper name of this part in the valve cover...some of the oil spilled out of it and it has a foam filter in it that looks like its saturated with oil......Should i replace it?????
DSC08051.jpg
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:16 PM

it's your

crankcase vent - years ago cars had a down tube from the engine pointing down to the ground. It let's the gases and pressure that builds up in an engine escape. that cap you have in your hand replaces that function..
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:17 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

That is a typical cheap crappy crankcase breather cap.

They always leak oil.

The factory model was connected to the inside of the air cleaner, so you never actually had to see all the oil .

- Eric
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:32 PM

So no need to replace leve as is????
It was my stupid mistake with the oil but when I bought the car thats where the oil level was and when I changed it I could see that mark above full and figured it was right.....and I noticed the oil on the upper control arm and thought it may have been from the shock....I gues it was from being over full

I am so happy It was nothing serious!!!

Thanks for the help guys I will now go and hide my head in shame...lol
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
That is a typical cheap crappy crankcase breather cap....

At least it's Taiwan and not China.
Old March 21st, 2012, 08:36 PM

You're not saying what year your car is, but you've got the wrong breather on there!!
Look at some of the engine pics throughout the forum, and you'll see the correct setup - breather with hose that goes to the air cleaner, that recirculates the oil fumes.
The one you have is just a stocker with the dress-up kit!
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
You're not saying what year your car is, but you've got the wrong breather on there!!
Look at some of the engine pics throughout the forum, and you'll see the correct setup - breather with hose that goes to the air cleaner, that recirculates the oil fumes.
The one you have is just a stocker with the dress-up kit!
That looks like the passenger side which could get a pcv connected to manifold vacuum instead of a breather. The breather should be on the driver's side.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:08 AM

It is possible he does not have the original air cleaner. If this is the case, there may be no place to connect the factory style breather pipe, hence the reason of this aftermarket one.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:06 AM

The pvc one is on my driverside of the car

engine.jpg
Old March 22nd, 2012, 06:29 AM

Yep, non stock air cleaner. Some GM cars that had an open air cleaner like that from the factory had a tube from the breather that went into the base of the air cleaner to pull the fumes.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:02 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Rickman48
... breather with hose that goes to the air cleaner, that recirculates the oil fumes.
Originally Posted by Highwayman
Some GM cars that had an open air cleaner like that from the factory had a tube from the breather that went into the base of the air cleaner to pull the fumes.
Not to be too annoying, but the hose on the air cleaner draws fresh air IN to the engine, which goes through and is drawn OUT on the other side through the PCV valve, and into the intake manifold. It's inside the air cleaner so that dust from outside isn't drawn into the engine. I know that the air cleaner side tends to leak some oil at times, but that's just "splash," and is not because there is any flow in that direction.

- Eric
Old March 22nd, 2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Not to be too annoying,....

No, go ahead because you're right. Brain fart on my part. Just let me blame it on early morning before breakfast lack of blood sugar and we're good.