main cap installation question

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2013, 04:42 PM

main cap installation question

If anyone can help I'll be very thankfull. On a olds 455 if I change to ARP main studs do I use thread lock on any of the caps. I noticed the oil pump cap making air bubbles when I was hand tightening the arp main studs coated with engine oil. Also when I put my crankshaft in without the main caps it spins freely. Then when I torque all the caps it also spins freely but when I have all caps torqued without the thrust bearing cap the crank won't turn. I looked all over the internet but could not find any help. I thank anyomne who can help.
Old March 11th, 2013, 04:55 PM

Will it not turn or is it tight from the rear seal? Don't use thread lock on the main bolts or studs. For studs you only need to screw them in till they bottom out and only finger tight. They are tightened by the nut on top. There are much more knowledgeable people that will help more than i can. I am sure they will reply soon.
Old March 11th, 2013, 05:42 PM

Technically if you install main studs you should align-hone the block. The main bores distort differently with studs than with bolts.

Loosen the thrust bearing main cap, use a block of wood on the flywheel flange, and give it a good hit with a hammer. Do the same thing on the front of the crank, and retorque. Hopefully the thrust bearing half's just needed to be centered on the block.

If the thrust bearing isn't the issue are you sure the main bearing caps are in the correct location, AND positioned on the crank correctly? The bearing locating tang on the cap and block should be on the same side. If your still having issues, torque the caps one at a time, hopefully there is only one bearing that is giving you problems.

And ARP wants the bolts and nuts lubed with ARP moly lube, I'm pretty sure the torque specs are different for engine oil.
Old March 11th, 2013, 07:56 PM

here is a little video about the rear seal.......does anyone else do this with the seal????

Old March 11th, 2013, 08:04 PM

The studs need to be bottomed out then backed off about half a turn. Then put the caps and nuts on.
My suggestion is to put the caps all on but without the oil seal............at first. Do one at a time starting with the center cap and torque it to spec. Snug the cap and make sure you set the thrust bearing first before the final tightening. Now spin the crank. Is it easy to spin? If not find out why. Continue this for the final four caps ending with the rear main. If at any point the crank binds up and doesn't move something is wrong, STOP and find it. Now go back and remove the rear cap and install the oil seal. It should be tighter but not stop moving. My explanation is crude but follow these vids on YouTube. They are better than I can explain. There is a whole series here that are very helpful and apply to most engines no matter what brand.